Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Comment Worthy Of A Post

It is the fleecing of America people. In May I purchased a warrenty/ protection planfor athletic shoes from Dick's. Sounded good, just like the clothing warrenty that Sears offers on childrens clothing. If the product has sole seperation, seam rips & seperation, fabric discoloration, broken fasteners, anyway you get the jist. So, my son's shoes are coming apart therefore I'm going to take them back to Dick's after all I have this protection. NOPE-I have to call an 800 number, put in a claim, pack up the shoes, send them in for some random person to determine if it is a "covered" claim then I will get my money back in the form of a Dicks gift card. In the meantime, I have to purchase yet another pair of shoes for my son to wear as I have sent his current pair away to be examined and MAYBE I will get my money back for the defective pair AND I asked the rep on the phone, if whomever determines that this is NOT covered, do I get my shoes back? He couldn't answer that. CRAZY!!! 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's your fault. Warranties (the correct spelling by the way) are ALWAYS a rip off.

jspear said...

i also bought a pair of bates combat work boots.. 8 or 9 months soles were coming off and a sewn seam was apart on the side which would allow water in. i also bought the extended replacement warrenty from Dicks. After learning the same info she learned i didn't even send them in. wasn't worth the hassle of headache. i ate the 10 dollar warrenty fee i spent. just bought my new Timberland Pro Series boots from another company

Anonymous said...

9:29 Thanks for setting me straight on my what is MY fault and my spelling errors. I always love reading comments like that from people like you on that offer NOTHING that helps anybody. Actually, the Sears protection plan is great, as was the one I purchased to cover my flat screen t.v., when the t.v had an issue, I received a replacement, a newer model as the current one I had was no longer available. The company replace it without incident. So, NO,warranty plans they are not always a rip off. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Never ever buy a warranty from a store. It is never a good deal, the stores make a huge profit and you get nothing.
Ecomomy 101

Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight....you bought a warranty on a pair of shoes??? Nuff said...

Anonymous said...

11:32,

Exactly.

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem. It made sense since I seemed to be buying high performace shoes all the time for my boys who play sports. Those shoes cost between $100-$200 and when they tore apart before they were done with them it makes me mad. But I won't buy the warranty again. They might have to play barefoot!

Anonymous said...

Bottom line is, the store where items are purchased should stand behind the workmanship and product they are selling, instead of pushing product "insurance".

Anonymous said...

I can only speak to my experiences, over the years I have purchased items from Sears and Walmart, without fail if the item was defective and within the limits of warantee or soon after purchase, my item was replaced without any problem. Sears tools replaced indefinately.

Anonymous said...

Never waste money on extended warranties without reading the fine print!
If you didn't read the details of the warranty (which I'm sure details how warranties are handled), then that part is your own fault.
Hopefully you learned a lesson with this and taught a few more people the same lesson at the same time.
I'm sorry you've had trouble with your son's shoes (I know how expensive that can get) but this warranty thing is not anyone's fault but yours for falling for the scam because you didn't check out the details.

Anonymous said...

Better keep an eye on Sears 1:10 they are backing out of their warranties. I have had Craftsman tape measures for years and now they stopped making them and will replace them with a Stanley with no warranty. They are going to stop warranting their tools next! If the product you are going to purchase needs more than the factory warranty then don't buy it.

Anonymous said...

Must have been made in America.