Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Deployment To Afghanistan

I hope this email finds all of you happy and healthy, enjoying the start of fall.  I am writing to let you all know that I will be deploying to Afghanistan at the end of October with the First Medical Battalion from Camp Pendleton, CA.  In my role as a critical care nurse, I will be working on a forward operating base as part of a Forward Resuscitative Surgical team.   Along with a trauma surgeon, anesthesiologist, several corpsman and Marines, I will be helping to provide stabilizing treatment to wounded Americans and coalition forces and members of the Afghan National Army before they are transferred to the large hospitals and eventually medically evacuated.  I also hope to have the chance to provide enroute care, transporting patients from the forward operating bases to the large Role III hospital at Camp Bastion. 

I will be finishing up my training with the Marines in the coming week and then will pack my sea bags and depart for Afghanistan just before Halloween.  I will be over there for about 7 months, returning in May of next year.  While I'm gone, I will hopefully have access to my personal email address and facebook account.  
 
I will also be able to receive mail, letters, care packages, etc.  It takes about 10 days for mail to reach the forward bases in Afghanistan and packages mailed in those USPS flat rate boxes tend to be delivered fastest.  

LT Albero
 
My Niece, who was a straight "A" Student all throughout High School and College, chose to serve our country after college. Her Parents, both United States Coast Guard Academy Graduates, (Class of 1980) and her Uncle, (ME) couldn't be more proud.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome, thank you for your service. It's people like this tha are the backbone of our armed forces.

Anonymous said...

Thank you...we are proud of you!

Anonymous said...

HUAH! Thanks for your service to the greatest country in the free world!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your service and may God watch over you and all the troops.

Anonymous said...

joe, you must be a very proud uncle. My youngest brother is headed to that same area to fly back-up plane for the Drones. I am also very proud.
Freedom isn't Free
kn

Anonymous said...

I'll be heading over there after Christmas. It's always very comforting to know how well trained and professional the entire Military's medical corps are in the case that, god forbid, Soldiers like myself ever find ourselves in need. Good luck, stay safe and Go ARMY!

LT McDermott

Anonymous said...

I think that one of the greatest honors is to serve your country. I wish I had understood that when I was younger. Thank you LT Albero for doing what I should have and wished I had done.

Anonymous said...

Amen , God Bless , 38th infantry,
2nd division , recon.keep us safe and sound.Thank you for helping America!

Anonymous said...

Thank you LT Abero, be safe