Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cavalier Telephone Quietly Bleeding Its Customers With Old vs. New Fees For Same Services?

Joe,

I've been a Cavalier DSL/phone customer for about ten years. Their service has been excellent, as have the features that are included, all at a cost that's a good value. However, it seems that with a recent change in their marketing, they're pulling something reminiscent of the stuff Ma Bell used to when she was the only game in town. People using CavTel should check the company's current sales programs (www.cavtel.com) to see if they're going to be paying more without having to.

Here's a transcript of my chat with a customer service rep at CavTel:

info: Thank you for chatting with Cavalier Telephone! A Customer Service representative will be with you shortly.

info: Thank you for using the Cavalier Telephone Live Chat Service. My name is Steven, in Palm Harbor, FL. How may I help you?

Steven: Thank you for contacting Cavalier, in order to better assist you may I have your first and last name?

Customer: Hello, Steven.

Steven: Good afternoon, Mr Customer, how may I assist you?

Customer: I have a question about the package I have, which is the Bronze package with dsl and unlimited local calls and 5 cent long distance.

Customer: I was looking at the current packages online and one is about what I have except it seems to be cheaper. The only difference would be the cost of long distance by the minute.

Customer: What would that cost be?

Steven: Here are the High Speed Internet plans that Cavalier offers:

Steven: 1) Local Connect Plus $55.00 plus taxes

Steven: Includes Unlimited local calling and 12 calling features and DSL, domestic long distance; 0.05 cent per minute

Steven: 2) Complete Connect Plus $65.00 plus taxes

Steven: Includes Unlimited local calling and Domestic Long Distance (up to 5000) and 12 calling features and DSL

Customer: So, what I have is currently called Local Connect Plus. So why am I paying $7 a month more for the same thing, if that's what it is?

Customer: And how long have I been doing it?

Steven: No you do not have the Local Connect Plus plan your have the Bronze plan. The Bronze plan is no longer available for new customers.

Customer: But it seems as though the features of the two are exactly the same, no?

Steven: Yes, they could have the same features.

Customer: Could have? I don't understand.

Steven: These features have been available since April 6th, 2010.

Customer: I'm losing you here. To which features do you refer?

Steven: Thank you for your patience.

Steven: Since I was not aware of your current plan, I needed to verify what you received with that plan. Yes, you would receive the same features with both plans.

Customer: When did the Local Connect Plus Plan come into existence?

Steven: April 6, 2010 is when these new plans were introduced.

Customer: Then I didn't miss much.

Customer: It seems that it would be in my best interests to transfer my account to the Local Connect Plus Plan, unless spending that extra $7 a month is getting me something I don't know about.

Steven: I would be happy to place a request to have the plan changed.

Customer: Will there be any changes in service or disruption?

Steven: There would be no interruption in your service as this is a billing change only.

Customer: I'm curious as to how long I would have continued on the Bronze Package when the Local package is the same thing but for less money.

Customer: Are Bronze Package customers being informed of this?

Steven: The order can take up to 2 business days to complete. Your next invoice will reflect a prorate for the time that you were on the Bronze package.

Customer: Would my Bronze Package billing have continued even though there is a cheaper exact substitute?

Customer: Had I not changed it.

Steven: Yes, since we did not cancel the Bronze package you would continue have billed on that plan.

Customer: I see. Seems a bit shady, if you don't mind me saying so, to let customers pay more for the same thing after a change comes about. I realize that policy isn't in your arena, but maybe you could pass this thread on to a supervisor.

Customer: Thanks for your help, Steven.

Steven: I will forward your concern.

Customer: Thank you. I will continue to address the topic with the company.

Steven: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Customer: Please end this chat session, unless there's something else you'd like to discuss. Thanks again.

Steven: I do apologize however we are not able to change your plan to a new one if the old plan is still billing.

Customer: I don't want the old plan. I want the new plan. I understand the issue.

Steven: As a one time courtesy, I will issue a credit for $14.00. That would reflect two months of a $7.00 difference.

Customer: Thank you for that. Will everyone else on the Bronze Package be notified that an exact substitute for their plan is available at a lower cost, or will they unknowingly be paying more for the same services until..... forever?

Steven: I do apologize for the confusion, we do not have to notified customer of pricing changes. That is up to the customer to verify if they are on the best plan for their needs.

Customer: Okay. That answers my question.

Customer: Thanks for your help and courtesy, Steven.

Steven: Are there any other questions or concerns that I can assist you with today?

Customer: That's it! Have a great day!

Steven: Thank you for chatting with Cavalier Telephone! We value your feedback. Please take a few moments to tell us about your experience. A few questions will appear when you click "X" at the top right of the chat window to close the chat.

Customer: bye

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

most companies dont notify customers when plans change.
there are still people on some verizon wireless plans that have been outdated for years. the could get more minute for the same price, but dont want to be botheered to cahnge or enter into a new contract.
its the customers responsibility to keep up on things.

why do people always blame business because they dont pay attention?

Anonymous said...

These service companies are all alike. I have Mediacom cable and just don't understand their fees and plans. My first year I was only being bill $120 for, digital cable, internet, and phone.

seeing on their website new customers can get the same package for a little over $100 dollar. Now that my introducery rate has expired, now I'm paying close to $200 bucks.

So this week after having issues with my HD services, which have been going on for a while and their customer service lacking very bad. Everytime I call them with a issue, they want to send a tech out 3-4 days after I call, of course the issue usually resolves on it own by then.

So after all this, i'm going direct TV for $89 a month for 12 months, getting all the channels, more high-def channels. Just keeping my internet via mediacom for like $50 bucks a month. So saving almost $100 a month and get more for my money.

These services need to wake up and realize they have competitiion and they better adjust to keep customers.

Anonymous said...

8:33:

In this case the only thing that changed was the price. The two plans are exactly the same - only the name is different - and the price.

In my opinion, everybody on the old plan should be moved to the new plan by the company, instead of the company leeching bucks from its established customers.

Anonymous said...

Say that this company has 50,000 subscribers in six states using the old named plan. Each of those customers is paying $7 a month too much for the service. Every month the company makes an extra $450,000of clear profit from those who don't know that they could get the exact same thing for less.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, thats $350,000. Bad arithmetic morning.

Chimera said...

They gained a foothold in the local market by billing themselves as "competition" but theres alot the public does not know.Cavalier and all the other independent companies use the network that Ma Bell built-they dont have their own lines or infrastructure.