Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

School Lock Down

Joe,

I hope you will re post this because I am an aggravated parent tonight.

This afternoon we received an automated call from our child's school(Woodson ES in Crisfield) informing us that they were on lock down because of reports of a predator trying to entice children who walk home from school into a car.

I immediately called the Crisfield PD for more information and the dispatcher wasn't sure of what I was talking about but put me on hold to get answers.I was told that it had been investigated and the Chief determined it was a hoax.

However,the school and many other parents were still under the impression that it was a real alert.They related to me that the police told THEM about the situation.

So at this time I have no idea if it is true or not,but after the Sarah Foxwell tragedy I think there needs to be more effort to publicize these type of threats.

Had the school not made those calls, I or any other parents would have no clue that children were potentially at risk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They'll never tell either the public school systems don"t care anymore about our children.. and it is a A SHAME how we have gotten....

Anonymous said...

Really? the public schools don't care about kids - funny, but if they didn't care, why was the call made? Seems to me that that was the most efficient way they could notify parents as quickly as possible. Truthfully, the school system receives its info from law enforcement on matters like this - if you have a gripe, it is with the Crisfield PD, whom it seems needs to make a statement of some sort...

Anonymous said...

did you read the article, the school were the ones that notified the parents.

Chimera said...

Yes, the school notified parents via their automatic outgoing call system and thank God they did because no one else seemed to know what was going on.I thank the staff of Woodson Elementary for their quick reaction