Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Campus Bomb Threat

As I’m sure you’ve heard, the college received a bomb threat this evening. Fortunately, it was not a credible threat. However, the college must take such situations seriously, and since the safety and welfare of students and employees is our primary concern, it was decided to evacuate the campus.

We are appreciative for the quick and professional response of local law enforcement and emergency personnel. I would also like to commend everyone on campus tonight for the smooth and timely evacuation of all of the buildings and the willingness of employees and fellow students to help one another deal with individual situations and concerns that arose. I would like to compliment everyone for the way they handled the situation.

We are aware that, once outside, students and faculty members were instructed not to re-enter the buildings. As a result, many of you left personal belongings behind. After emergency officials indicated that the buildings were safe, security personnel went into every classroom and collected the personal belongings that remained.

A specific location in each building has been designated for anyone who had to leave their personal belongings. Give the employee in each of the following offices the room number you were in and what items you are there to claim. Be prepared to show a photo ID. The offices are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. If you are not able to pick up your items during the day, call the numbers provided for information on alternative arrangements that will be made.

AAB AAB 109F college information desk (410) 334-2800

MTC MTH 101 president’s office (410) 334-2911

HH HH 103 nursing department offices (410) 572-8701

GH GH 202 criminal justice department offices (410) 572-8751

WDC WDC 205 business and hotel-motel department offices (410) 334-2830

I hope this is the last of this type of information that I will be sending.

Dr. Ray Hoy

President

14 comments:

Nut Haus said...

This further illustrates the issues that frequent this campus. I read the post a few days ago regarding the caliber of students which attend this educational facility and agreed. There is a high amount of student base receiving a free ride from the government. With that brings this type of behavior.

Take a former coworker of mine for example. She is a single mother of two mixed race children and receiving nearly free rent. She worked or I should say showed up to a full time job where I worked. In addition she worked as a cashier at a Super Soda. Her third job was a prostitute for extra cash. All along continuing to accept government assistance. I reported it twice with no action from the government.

Four years ago she quit her jobs and began at worwic under something called a Pell grant. Her food source came from WIC as she attended school. She has dropped out of two career paths including Radiology and nursing and is now in the third. The prostitution continues thanks to the student population and the parking lot is the frequent arena for the action.

This is but one story in what I call Section 8 education. Our government provides millions for free education to people like this and good students struggle to figure out how to go to school. I'm not saying WorWic is completely responsible, but shares the burden of our countries system which is flawed. As long as this type of student is attending this type of side show will remain. Expect more.

jspur said...

750am

why the hell is that any of your business?

Sounds like the woman was trying to make money. You dont know her life or her story.

WOW.

Wor-Wic Employee said...

Seriously? Wor-Wic is a great assest to this community.

Nut Haus said...

JSPURWUR,
It is more of an aggrivation than my business. When the woman openly flaunts and advertises to everyone what she does, then everyone gets aggrivated. I suppose you think we should just look the other way. Thats why America is going to hell in a hand basket.

Anonymous said...

Wor Wic is a good school , but there are clearly issues we dont hear about. This woman is clearly taking advantage of the system and it cost you and me dearly.

jspur said...

You don't pay for anything dearly. And nothing about your little narrative said she flaunted anything.
I vote do what your mama told you (or should have) mind your damn business.

People worry about others way too much! Its the root of gossip and rumors. Its really a distraction from what you should be concentrating on: yourself.

Anonymous said...

pell grants are cut off if a student doesn't maintain a certain grade point average. I used to see the same type of financial aide student when I worked for a local community college in Rockville, Md.

Anonymous said...

I arrived at Wor-Wic around 5:30pm for class. It concerns me that I was allowed on campus even as the evac was taking place-I proceeded to Henson Hall and freely walked into the building-I had no idea what was going on-I had never arrived that early and wasn't sure if it was just classes letting out-a drill or if it was isolated to a particular building- I then overheard another student ask security a question about classes and realized what was happeing. Although security did their best to clear everone out there should be in place a system to notify those NOT on campus-I know some of the larger schools use email and text alerts-also, getting out of the parking lot was slow as there are only 2 exits on opposite sides of the campus.

Jenn R. said...

jspuwur,
Translation. Your probably doing the same thing and dont want your party spoiled. Why else would you care.

Chimera said...

Nuthaus,you know of what you speak!
I have had a friend currently attending WW and struggling to pay for it tell me about the same kind of students.Its no secret the ones who use it openly are proud of the fact.After a certain amount of time on welfare you have to fish or cut bait-either get a job or go to school and they pay for all the job training AND childcare.Great world!

jspur said...

Jenn R.
You couldn't be furthur from the truth. :)

Hasty generalizations are just that.

WWTB said...

I have a neighbor who attends Wor Wic and its the same story. Free school,free groceries, free everything and braggs about it. I had to work my way through school and nobody gave me a handout. Dont feed me your liberal BS jspurwur. I'll bet your rolling in the government freebie line. I hope evrybody makes it their business to expose these leaches.

Anonymous said...

I attend Wor-Wic and receive a pell grant. I also am in my 20s and receive absolutely no other government assistance. I live completely on my own and work my behind off to pay bills in this economy and am attending school to better myself. And no I have no children or any of your other negative sterotypes. I simply want to go to school and need the help to pay for it. So for someone to say those who receive money from the government for school is responsible for this is outrageous. The bomb threat was nothing more than a note left in a bathroom found by the custodial staff, which is what we were told today by the staff. So please do not group us all together, not all of us are out to take money from the goverenment.

jspur said...

Hey. Wwtb. Newsflash. No one is feeding you liberal bs. You willingly logged onto a website and read my comment.
And PS. I'm not on any govt assistance like its any of your business anyway. Get a life!