Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, September 28, 2009

Has Frank Krarovil Changed His Tune?

Since we are an independent household, I received a fancy, 12 color, rather expensive, 8x10, 4 paged flyer in the mail from my congressman Saturday. On the front was a nifty color picture of Frank Kratovil and a headline which read; “Nothing is More Important than Your Family's Health”

Inside, Kratovil claims he is “Fighting for the RIGHT KIND of Health Care Reform." A letter addressed to “Dear friend” reads as follows:“

In July, when some Congressional leaders were pushing to force a vote on health care reform legislation after just weeks of consideration, I stood up and argued for taking more time. Nothing is more important than your family’s health, and an issue this important demands that we take the time to listen to our constituents and get it right.

I spent the month of August traveling across Maryland’s First District listening to the thoughts and concerns of constituents on this critical issue. (Uh uh) I held a dozen public meetings, met individually with hundreds of concerned citizens, and spoke with thousand more on a series of Telephone Town Hall forums. I also sat down with doctors, nurses, small business owners, and other stakeholders to discuss their perspectives on health care and insurance reform.”

Really Frank? because you didn't seem very interested in what I had to say at two of your town hall meetings. In fact your handlers shut me down and refused to address my question even though I was speaking to you congressman. Nor did you seem to hear any other of the hundreds that came out to talk to you. I sure hope that you did eventually hear us and had a change of heart because from what you said in both town hall’s I attended, I wasn’t very convinced, as you repeated the same talking points over and over. Additionally, I see that you no longer conduct public meetings, only conference calls because the heat musta gotten a little to hot for you? All the while, I give you props for doing it, I'm disappointed you won't hold public meetings with your constituency anymore.

The letter went on;

“I appreciated the opportunity to hear from so many on this important issue, and I personally encourage you to share your thoughts with me as well as visiting www.kratovilhouse.gov. As a father of four young boys and a son of aging parents, I understand personally how important this issue is to all of our families, and I want to hear your ideas and concerns."

This makes me laugh in a sad sort of way. I sure hope he means it because back in July when I called Kratovil's office to oppose HR3200, simply stating I opposed it, I was met with an onslaught by Frank's henchman; Kevin, who actually argued with me and challenged me to see if I knew what I was talking about. Poor poor Kevin, he had no idea. Perhaps Frank has learned his lesson and actually wants dialog and opinions from his constituency? I sure hope so. That might be a nice and welcome change from his leadership thus far and one I'd certainly support.

In closing the letter reads:

"With Congress now back in session, the health care debate will once again be front and center. Please know that I will not support any legislative proposal that doesn't protect consumers' right to keep the insurance they have now if they choose, nor will I support any proposal that increases our out-of-control deficit." (Does this mean you oppose a public option Frank?) But I also understand we can't sit idly by and watch health care costs continue to sky rocket for middle-class families." (insert manufactured crisis here, as if we don't have more pressing issues) Health care reform is critical for all of our families (oh yea?) and I think it's worth taking the time to get it "right."

With warm regards, Frank

The rest of the rather expensive marketing piece was more fluff.

Well, what should a fiscal conservative make of this? On first pass, it sure sounds like Frank is trying to own up to his campaign promise of being a blue dog fiscal conservative, which gave me some hope but after re-reading it a few times, I have my doubts. The language alone is crypt enough to make me wonder. The idea that health care reform is some sort of crisis alone, gives me pause for thought. I mean yes, there's certainly room for improvement and there should be some corrections but health care reform being "critical"? Compared to what? The deficit? Iran's threat of nuclear bombs? Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, and pending state and other government institutional bankruptcy's? The unending wars in Iraq and Afghanistan? There is something else greater at stake going on here when health care reform tops the crisis of the day for months and months when the majority of Americans don't want what they are selling, but I digress. I listen to half of what someone says and all of what they do so I decided to revisit Frank's very limited voting record as a freshman congressman.

Although he claimed he was undecided: he signed onto HR 2454: Waxman-Markey, as known as, the Cap and Tax bill, and has vehemently defended that vote even though Obama's own data indicates passage of this legislation would send millions of jobs over seas and would cost the individual family over $1,200 in energy cost increases a year.

HR 1: 2009 Economic Package (2009) Kratovil voted for it.

HR 1586: TARP Recipient Bonuses Tax (2009) Kratovil voted for it

HR 3435: Supplemental Appropriations for the Cash for Clunkers Program (2009) Kratovil voted for it

and on and on.....

Now I realize the guy is not doing so well with public opinion inside the beltway, not to mention the views held by arguably one of the most Conservative districts in Maryland, regarding his chances of ever being anything other than a freshman congressman, but for the sake of our state and the sake of our nation, I hope this time he's being sincere. If he turns around and runs the other way up field maybe he can salvage something. Fool me once Mr. Kraovil, well you know how that goes....

I'm a bit skeptical.

I suppose I should call his office and see if they are really interested in my opinion THIS TIME.

Heck, you should too:

Washington, DC Office314 Cannon HOB Washington, DC 20515Phone: 202-225-5311 Fax: 202-225-0254

Bel Air Office202 South Main StreetBel Air, MD 21014Phone: (410) 420-8822

Centreville Office102 Turpins LaneCentreville, MD 21617Phone: (443) 262 -9136 l Fax: (443) 262 - 9713

Salisbury OfficeOne Plaza EastSuite 103, East Main StreetSalisbury, MD 21801Phone: (410) 334-3072 l Fax: (410) 334-3075

E-MAIL FRANK

Source

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank is a coward and will never buck Obama and Pelosi! Case closed.

Anonymous said...

Kratovil has NO INTENTION of voting against any liberal Democrat bill, he is placating the conservatives knowing full well he will vote for any CRAP bill that Democrats introduce. VOTE THEM ALL OUT!!!

Anonymous said...

I will personally work for his opponent in the next election cycle. I want him out.

Anonymous said...

Contacting his office does no good. I am also part of an independent household. I have emailed his office over and over on the issues and I always get the same canned reply about how he is concerned for us and will do....WHAT HE FEELS IS BEST FOR US. He never directly addresses my comments and concerns that I mention in the emails.

I thought he was to do as we wish for him to do and not decide for us as if we were all his children without the knowledge or experience to think for ourselves. I too will support and campaign for his opponent. Can't wait....Let's Get It On!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Frank is a lawyer. He is more educated than his constituency. He knows what is best for all of us. Why you ignorant rednecks can't get that through your head is beyond me. Look, cap and trade is good for us. It's going to prevent the oceans from rising. Universal health care is good for us! We owe it to everyone to make sure that no one goes without. I am a wealthy wealthy person. I think Frank is right and I am going to donate as much money as I can!

Anonymous said...

I am a very conservative skeptic by nature, and with the thought of putting a LIFE decision as this in the hands of a politician is a bit scarey considering the fact that he is not ringing very popular these days and he will do whatever it takes to recover the numbers back in his favor. My sentiments exactly, with the fool me once, your fault, fool me twice, my fault scenario.

It's amazing how these politicians can change with the tides when a PASSIONATE topic as this is in the works. Sometimes its a good thing to let the ocean's rise for good measure to get this country back in line. Out of Chaos, comes change, and hopefully the change that is necessary for this country.

As far as wealth, I would prefer live off of greens, haul water from a well and read by candlelight rather than make such a decision based on "wealth".

Orsonwells said...

Look out. Can you say, "smoke and mirrors?" read carefully what he says. He is in his own camp.

Anonymous said...

Expensive color flyer Frank.
You send us pretty color pictures asnd then vote as Papa Frank sees fit and Pelosi orders.