Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Endorsement Statement by Tim Chaney

March 18, 2009

My name is Tim Chaney, and I was a candidate in the primary election for the Salisbury City Council District 1 seat. Out of a field of four, I came in a close third – just 17 votes short of making it through the primary.

My thanks go out to each and every person who voted for me and supported me in other ways. I give special thanks to my treasurer, Shirley M. Dashiell, a wonderful woman who has given so much time, energy and talent to the people of Salisbury’s West Side.

Tonight, I come to give my endorsement, along with Shirley’s, to one candidate for the District 1 council seat. Just as important, I want my supporters and all the voters of District 1 to understand the reasons behind this endorsement. Informed voters are empowered voters.

Our endorsement goes to Cynthia May Polk. With all due respect to the incumbent, with whom I consider my relationship cordial, Cynthia Polk offers the people of District 1 the attention and the change they hunger for, a need I myself sought to meet.

I know the people of District 1 are feeling this way because they told me so as I campaigned door to door. They told me it’s why they wanted me to run and why I accepted the challenge.

And I know they feel this way because over two-thirds of the District 1 primary votes were for us challengers, not for the incumbent. Cynthia Polk impressively came within just 5 votes of the incumbent in the primary. These facts show that the people of District 1 are looking for positive change this election.

Before the primary, I had an opportunity to talk with Cynthia Polk and learned she and I had some things in common beyond our love and concern for the people of District 1 and the city as a whole.

Like me, Cynthia Polk is deeply concerned about what crime is doing to our district and to the city. The incumbent said at a city council work session that crime is not a problem. Cynthia Polk and I both believe crime IS a problem, and it is high time the mayor and the city council take the actions necessary against crime.

Cynthia Polk and I both helped to collect signatures on the charter referendum petition to try to hold off a double-digit tax increase. We did this because – although tax increases are sometimes necessary – the District 1 incumbent and the two city council leaders imposed this increase before even looking at the budget. They did this without a thought for how such a big tax increase would affect the struggling people in District 1 and throughout Salisbury.

Cynthia Polk and I both believe that financial discipline is important to making sure OUR money is spent on the priorities of the people. This is especially important to the people of District 1, who have watched jobs NOT come to the core areas of District 1. The people of District 1 have watched as Taj Mahal buildings go up while District 1 neighborhoods are left to crumble.

Last but not least, Cynthia Polk shares my love and concern for the Wicomico River and for the children of this city. She and I both believe we can restore the health of both, that we MUST restore the health of both. Joint projects can help both our river and our city’s children. Both our river and our children will be healthier if our neighborhoods are restored with better housing, safer streets and cleaner environments. More than one problem can be improved at one time.

For all these reasons, I endorse Cynthia May Polk for Salisbury’s District 1 City Council seat. I encourage my supporters and all District 1 voters to cast their vote for her.

The most important reason of all that I endorse Cynthia Polk is, with both my head and my heart, I believe it's the right thing to do for the people of District 1 and for all of Salisbury.

Be sure to vote Tuesday, April 7th. It’s important. It’s your right. It’s your voice.

Thank you.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim, thank you for stepping up to the plate and running in our district. You would have made a great councilman, your time will come and you will once again have my vote.

Anonymous said...

It's sad the citizens of District 1 can't see through color. Tim Chaney was by far the best candidate for that race. If anyone could have seen Ms. Polk speak tonight they would have wondered if she had a brain or not. She and Shanie are both an embarrassment to the human race.

Anonymous said...

9:17 - that's a little harsh, don't you think. I like the way Mr. Cheney took the "high road" in his comments about Ms. Polk.

Anonymous said...

9:17, I'll trust Tim Chaney's judgment on this.

Plus, someone who knows Cynthia Polk (I don't) said she is thoughtful and speaks fine one on one, but is fairly nervous with the forums.

As long as she isn't saying "Crime is not a problem" and talking about "glittering infratractionals" like Shanie, I'd give her a chance.

Tim Chaney's a class act. Shame he didn't get through, but since he didn't, he gave a helluva great endorsement. If Cynthia's all that, District 1 would be nuts not to elect her over Shanie.

Anonymous said...

tim, you're a class act

Anonymous said...

One other thing Tim Chaney and Cynthia Polk have in common:

Neither one of them is owned by the landlords or developers the way Shanie is.

That alone is reason to vote for Polk. Spread the word.

Anonymous said...

Tim's a nice guy, but frankly I don't care who he "endorses". I think endorsements give people a cop-out to vote for someone without having to research. Don't follow endorsements, research the candidates and vote based on the issues.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
9:17 - that's a little harsh, don't you think. I like the way Mr. Cheney took the "high road" in his comments about Ms. Polk.

9:41 PM

No it is not harsh at all. That woman isn't qualified to poor p!ss out of a boot and we should be soft on her? She wants to help lead our city. Get real. Now a choice between Polk and Shields? Polk all the way.

Anonymous said...

Shanie has done no reading or thinking the whole time she has been on the council. She votes with Smith and Comegys and eats. Anyone who votes for her is guilty of the same level of laziness. Polk could not be any worse than Shields so let's try her. We know Shanie is not up to the job. In fact it's hard to think of a job she could do well.

Anonymous said...

This is such an important decision for the voter of sby (which I'm not), so please please please choose the one who might have a clue, not the one we KNOW FOR SURE does not. Shanie may be a nice person but she's an embarassment as an elected official, no matter how you look at it. I've been following the city council and their antics, and she has never once had a coherent thought of her own. If you voters don't vote FOR someone, you need to vote AGAINST Shanie.

Anonymous said...

The main reason Shanie wants to be reelected is to get the health insurance coverage at taxpayers expense and lots of candy at meetings. She could care less about District 1 or its residents.

Anonymous said...

After last nights forum, nobody can say the Shields isn't the best candidate between the two. I was embarrassed for Polk.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
The main reason Shanie wants to be reelected is to get the health insurance coverage at taxpayers expense and lots of candy at meetings. She could care less about District 1 or its residents.

10:00 AM

You are correct. Last night Shanie said because of some "tragedy's" she had in 2006 she couldn't go knocking door to door to meet every citizen in her district. So she is saying that she couldn't go knock on doors for 3 years because of a tragedy or 2, but now she wants to be re-elected? What happened to the tragedy?