Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, February 09, 2009

The Fight That Rocked ESPN!














Badly beaten Rosado tried escaping out of the building by walking under the bleachers and bolted out the back of the Civic Center, not wanting to be seen. The fight itself was simply unbelievable. Although they called a slip a knock down early in the fight, Fernando actually tripped over Rasado's foot but it happened just after Rosado clobbered Fernando with a very respectable punch. This was probably the best thing that could happen to Fernando because the crowd showing their support probably overwhelmed Fernando and that hit woke him up and that's when he truly dominated the fight from that point forward.

I did speak to Fernando's manager/trainer Hal Chernoff over the weekend and I asked him point blank, were you upset or bothered by the showboating in the last round. Hal replied, absolutely not. Rosado had been taunting him for weeks in the Press and especially the day before the fight he kept talking smack. "Fernando stayed calm the whole time and kept telling Rosado, I'll do my talking in the ring." Hal went on to say that this was Fernando's way of saying, you couldn't hurt me, you still can't hurt me and here's proof, take your best shot.

The speed of Fernando Guerrero is scary! Then, the impact of his punches, I just can't believe after two home town fights that both fighters continued to take that kind of punishment. Congratulations to Fernando Guerrero, Hal Chernoff and everyone at the Main Street Gym. I'll add, thank you Fernando. You have single handily brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars, (if not millions) to Wicomico County in some of the toughest times this Country has ever experienced in its history. You also delivered by far the greatest entertainment I have ever personally experienced.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only way to describe that last picture is a "Bonified Shore Stompin", I bet he was hurting the next day.

Anonymous said...

"he kept talking smack"

Can someone tell me what talking smack is?

Anonymous said...

The best way to describe the support we showed Fernando is AWESOME. Let's hope that we showed ESPN enough that they will want to come back, and next time maybe it will be a championship fight. I agree with you, Joe, that is the most exciting thing I have ever seen in person.

Anonymous said...

Fernando could have left the taunting in the dressing room but knowing his idol is Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali explains it all. I don't know that there has ever been a more arrogant boxer in the history of boxing. He was arrogant but he sure could put his money where his mighty mouth was.

Anonymous said...

12:30. I think I can help."Talking smack" is a form of verbal disrespect between humans that confirms our link in evolution from primates. It is also known as dissing [descended from the word disrespecting}.

Examples would be "Hey, your mother looks like Aunt Esther from Sanford and Son" or "You momma' is so ugly I am going to press her face in some dough and make gorilla cookies."

In its mildest form, responses to this are: "Oh, no you didn't" or even better-someone may keep it real and provide a COUNTER-DISS and say "Oh, yeah. Well at least my momma' doesn't have a lazy eye-last time she said 'pick that toy up' all five of our kids bent over."

This verbal jousting usually continues until someone gets all their clothes and golf clubs thrown out into the yard or shanked with a bladed kitchen implement {or in the case of this featured young man, several uncontested left crosses to the eye.}


****Please don't try this at home, or in the "ten item or less" line at your local MegaloMart.

Jason S. said...

That's dead on 1:00 .
Ali was aware of the psychological part of the game but he could back it up!
I think Fernando was egging the crowd on at first (he said he was going to 'feed' off the crowd this time...and he sure did) then I'm sure Rosado had words , so he kept it up.
Can't wait for his next fight. I will travel if need be. I'm there.

PS/ THANK YOU
Fernando
Hal
Joe
You guys do BIG things for this town.

Anonymous said...

"...were you upset or bothered by the showboating in the last round."

All the fights were good and I liked them better then the live UFC fights on saturday night. A note on the above quote. I was bothered by his antics and believe it was not needed. He whooped him and that was enough. I just do not like when guys showboat like that.

Anonymous said...

I have attended fights in Philly, etc. were the crowds are very knowledgeable, and have seen them start booing the hometown favorite for this type of taunting and clowning around. Fernando, we love you, but do that again, and we may have to show you some "tough love".

Anonymous said...

Fans do want to see their champion show class in victory as well as in defeat. Fernando is young and therefore can be taught to avoid unsportsmanlike conduct.

Anonymous said...

It is still hot-dogging-very poor sportsmanship

joe albero said...

I suppose the dance in the end zone is hot dogging it too. Or a slam dunk in basketball. Come on now, the kid was at home, the guy was talking smack for weeks, Fernando had him beat and for the first time he threw it back in his face. Get over it.