Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cyber Scam

"Good Morning Joe,

I apologize if you’ve already blogged on this subject but wanted to make you and your loyal readers aware of a new scam permeating the Internet. Especially in this economy, a lot of folks are looking for a way to earn some extra cash and the cyber criminals are out in force so please be weary.

Like most of us I can spot a Nigerian 419 scam, an eBay, PayPal or banking phish from a mile away however this was way different. I mean way different.

I recently received an email and was offered a position as a Merchandise Manager with HHT Logistic Company based in the UK. I Googled the company and it looked legit and more importantly, had no complaints. This company supposedly pays you to receive packages at your home and then they pay you to forward them internationally. Their website was very elaborate and even included an Intranet site to communicate with your “manager”.

I was really quite suspicious but not totally sure so I started digging. The two URL's that are associated with this company are www.hht-lc.com and their Intranet is at www.hht-managers.com. A “who is” search and subsequent IP address data revealed that one of the domains is hosted in the Czech Republic. I knew right then that this was a scam. As I looked on and did reverse IP searches this criminal enterprise goes on and on. Other URL’s found were: Fsmanagers.biz, Rcem.biz, Vdsmanagers.com, Currency-solutions.biz, Fs-jsc.com, Rc-jsc.com.

I was unaware of the name but if these criminals successfully recruit you, one is referred to as a cyber-mule, in this case the reshipping of electronics purchased with stolen credit card data."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so if i signed up for a "job" with them, I could just keep all the stolen merch they send me?