Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, September 14, 2008

What Does Bike Week Mean To Me

While I am the owner of two Harley Davidson Motorcycles, I chose the first three days to drive my car to each event this year. Lugging around my cameras and equipment, it just made life easier.

I have had no trouble whatsoever getting anywhere I want to be and my hat is tipped to ALL of the Law Enforcement Agencies taking care of traffic control in Wicomico County and Worcester County.

Some representatives from Wicomico County were concerned that Winter Place Park was too far away from where the event was originally held, (Ocean Downs). I find this statement ridiculous and let me explain why.

Maybe its just me but I enjoy getting on my Bike and going for a ride. Hanging out at the same location can quickly grow old for me and the more I can get out and do and see, the better I enjoy myself.

It's kind of like Spring Fest. You know how it is. You go to ONE location and you walk through the Inlet Parking Lot and see the same vendors over and over again, year after year. BORING!

So if you can get out and go, perfect! These 5 mile long Poker Runs, yeah, they can be fun at times but come on now, 5 miles? I'd prefer to get on my Bike from OC and head 20 miles or more to a location where there's more to see and with all hope, different.

Granted, I believe Winter Place Park has had more of a day time crowd because of the lack of beer sales. Nevertheless, that place was packed on Friday afternoon. It did slow down quite a bit Friday evening but lets face it, Winter Place Park is NOT Ocean City. We don't have places like Seacrets and from what I heard Friday night, that place was packed!

I believe Wicomico County stated that they expected to raise around $750,000.00 worth of business from Bike Week. In this economy, be happy with anything you get. Hopefully next year the Harley Davidson Shop reconsiders getting a liquor license for a few days and more of the Bar/Restaurants in Wicomico County step up to the plate earlier and start marketing their own events around the Salisbury area.

All that being said, I'd like to thank all of the people involved, especially the Bikers. I hope they enjoyed Wicomico County and Winter Place Park and I look forward to many more years of this event taking place around the Eastern Shore.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, Your right about bike week but what about Fernando Guerrero!

Anonymous said...

I didn't have any problem taking my camera...backpacks are wonderful inventions. Especially backpacks that are strapped to the sissy bar.

Anonymous said...

How was the Guerrero event?

Anonymous said...

I agree. Bike week is about getting together with other bikers and getting out on your bike! Spreading out the event probably eased congestion and kept people moving. Keeping the events between OC and Berlin just crammed 150,000 bikes into a 5 mile stretch. I'm sure Wicomico county benefited from this as well.

Anonymous said...

Why are you not telling about sussex co. You do no they had more in Seaford De.

Anonymous said...

Could it be that you're just a fair weather biker Joe?

With the forecasts earlier in the week it appeared it was going to be a wash out.

Thursday night my wife and I got slightly damp as we tooled around Delaware. Friday I worked all day and was constantly envious of the bikes rolling by regularly.

Saturday I was out of the house by 10 and headed to the Oasis Bar in Whaleyville. No 5 mile poker run there. You missed out on it. There was a 50 mile fund raiser that left out of the parking lot at about 10 a.m.


From there we left and rode around the back roads of the area with getting lost in mind. The bike induced breeze took the heat out of the air.

Around sunset it was off to OC to the Atlantic Hotel for the burnout pit.

Sunday I had things I needed to do so I was unable to go out.

Oh well...

Chimera said...

I was in Crisfield this weekend and there were alot of bikers riding around down there but none of them were speeding or hotrodding-they were sightseeing and stopping in to local restaurants before leaving town.

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank the Wicomico County Sheriff's Dept. for all the hard work they put into bike week! There was no traffic problems and everyone was "well behaved" Thanks again to Mike Lewis and his staff for a job well done. I won't be on vacation next year...I'll be right here enjoying the Harley's! Loud Pipes Save Lives!