Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, September 19, 2008

Careful Where You Shop

"I just wanted to let everyone in on this little scam and knew you could get the word out.

Of course I realize it is your decision if you post this or not.
Let me first say I usually go to Sam's for gas and was doing so before you starting posting the price on your blog.
I just happened to be on Snow Hill road today and saw the price for gas advertised at Vintage Wine /Universal (what used to be Super Soda). I had cash so I thought I'd stop since 3.39 is a good price this week. I went in to the store and handed the cashier $40 and asked for 40 on pump 7.

I went out and turned the pump on the price came up 3.44 so I went back in and asked why before I started pumping. The cashier told me the pump displayed the highest price when first turned on but would godown to 3.39 once I started pumping. So I went back out and started pumping surprise the price didn't change. I went in and told the girl it was still reading 3.44 she pointed at the other girl who I guess was management. I told them I wanted my money back and they weren't very happy.
I just want everyone to know when you go anywhere to get gas always check the price on the pump is the price that is advertised, especially when they have one price for cash and another for credit. As for me I'll stick with Sam's Club from now on.

BTW Who besides the better business Bureau Can I report this to?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

who owns this store, oh never mind.

Wymzie said...

Report them to the Department of Weights and Measures. If you look on a gas pump you will see a sticker that tell the last time the pump was checked. There is a phone number on that tag.

Anonymous said...

After I sent this in I called weights and measures they said they couldn't do anything because it wasn't about the quality of the gas or if the pump was dispensing properly. The Sheriffs office and Police Department said it was a civil issue between the store owner and I. The State Comptroller's Office said they couldn't do anything as long as the store had both prices posted.
I have filed with the BBB and am trying to remind other's to always check the price on the pump.
If anyone knows of anything else I can do please ask Joe to post it.