Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, August 01, 2008

Quote of the Day...Bon Appetite!

I found an email from one of SbyNews readers today forwarding me a quote from H.L. Mencken. He stated that he thought I would enjoy it, and I did.
Mencken was known as the "American Nietzsche" and the 'Sage of Baltimore' .
He was a journalist whose satire, cynisism and free thinking brought him much recognition as his writings were very appealling to the malcontents of his day.
As I was reading through some of his works, I came upon today's 'Quote of the Day'... this one is for you Joe!

"All (zoos) actually offer to the public in return for the taxes spent upon them is a form of idle and witless amusement, compared to which a visit to a penitentiary, or even to a State legislature in session, is informing, stimulating and ennobling". ~H. L. Mencken



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the zoo is expense that we dont need in my opinion. i personaly do not believe it draws tourist to the area. there is alot better ways to spend this money than at the zoo. these are tough, tough times and people should come first on the priority list for tax-payer spending, not animals. send these animals to a open range zoo where their quality of life would be greatly improved, who wants to live in a cage?

Wymzie said...

Amen!