Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Willards 5th Of July Celebration!






While thousands of people showed up, (out of nowhere?) this was one of the finest 4th of July events I've ever been to.

First let me start by thanking Mr. Bob Harris for putting this whole thing together. I know Granddad will get on here later and thank the rest of the volunteers and Officials that were there but I have to tell you, this was a Family Outing like no other.

We took the Urban Assault Vehicle up there, opened one of the slide outs, put up the table, pulled the awning out and we were done! Friends & Bloggers just started showing up saying hello, introducing themselves and enjoyed great fellowship the entire time we were there. We arrived around 4:30 PM and stayed until it was completely over at around 10:30 PM.

I pulled out the grill and cooked hot dogs and hamburgers for anyone who stopped by. I then climbed on top of the Motor Coach and honest to God, I could NOT believe my eyes. The Motor Coach blocked the view of the people behind us and man, you talk about a ton of people! We heard Station 7 made a small fortune as well as every single vendor out there! Heck, Station 7 ran out of french fries by 9:30 PM! I mention that because they have KILLER fries!

Now I'd like to mention my friend Mr. Mike Ash. You see, last night was Mike's last Fireworks Show. Bay Fireworks will continue to operate but Mike has been shooting off Fireworks for 41 years now and quite frankly, he's had it. So last night we were entertained with some of the coolest stuff I had ever seen. A mix of this, a combination of that. The next thing we knew it was a Show to remember, wasn't it Folks?

I'd like to thank ALL of the people who read this Blog for stopping by and saying hello. I was certainly overwhelmed with the amount of people who saw the Motor Coach and stopped in. My Wife thought I wouldn't be able to fit back into the Motor Coach because my head would have grown too big to get back in it but somehow I did make it back in after greasing the door frame.

Thanks for a great time Willards. You can count on this Family returning next year as well as the many visitors of this Blog.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My family was also there. It was a wonderful way to spend an evening. Many friends and family with great food, music and of course fireworks. This event was like a blast from the past. It is truly how it should be done. Great work to everyone involved.

Anonymous said...

Last night was an awesome turn out at the Wonderful Willards School for the outstanding fire work display. The fire works beat Shorebirds by a mile! Next year i think they should a bike show and some more bands. Great job to everyone who set this up! They deserve a big hand.

Unknown said...

I was very surprised at the amount of people at this great family event.
Thank you so much for your blog!
Without it I would have never known.
PS the commissioner is enjoying a cigar

Anonymous said...

This took me back 30 years to the "old school" family fireworks shows of my childhood...well, maybe 40 years ;)

Thank you so much to those that came, those that set up, those that planned. A most excellent display by Mr. Ash & his company. This will be the "go to" event for the Independence Day celebration from now on. Great job everyone!

Anonymous said...

Bob Harris,East Side Chamber of Commerce, The Tabernacle and all others involved deserve kudos for pulling a true community event together that reminded me of my early years in the business. This was all about families as it should be. Thanks also goes to Wiilards Fire Dept and Pittsviile Fd for their safety coverage of the event. They were top notch!! I was proud to be able to fire the first of what I hope is an annual event for the community. I also want to give kudos to my crew that helped make this show go off as well to Joe who helped advertise this event to make it the success it was.
Mike Ash

Anonymous said...

Our family went soley based on the recommendation made by Joe! I have to say we were NOT disappointed. It was a wonderful, relaxing, and family oriented gathering. The fireworks were very well done, and we loved the way they shot-off as the band sang "...and the rockets red glare...". My kids took advantage of the free snow cones and snacks offered by the church groups, my husband and I enjoyed the music (although a little loud for our old ears), and I tried fried corn bread for the first time. We will definitly be there again next year! Thanks Joe for pointing us in the right direction!

Anonymous said...

This was a wonderful family event! I hope the tradition continues for many, many years to come. Great job to everyone involved!!!

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

man, when the american spirit comes out in people you can sure feel it. what a wonderful event to make so many americans feel american again. i tip my hat to all the people who made this event possible. i will definitly be there next year.

Anonymous said...

Just keep the alcohol out of it and it will always be a family event, with no troubles.

Anonymous said...

My family had a great time and is very much looking forward to going again next year. Everyone I have spoken to was very pleased with the event. Good clean American Family Fun just the way it should be. The kids could run, play and have fun without me having to worry about them. Most everyone was a face you had seen before or someone you knew very well. The food was great! Of course, who doesn't love Station 7 and Whitey's BBQ. We bought from both places. The fireworks, just let me say one word WOW! Beat Ocean City the night before hands down. Mike deserves a big pat on the back for that one.

Joe, we were parked right behind you across the driveway in the grass. I wish I had gotten over there to see you and thank you for letting us know about this event. But family came first (as it should be). So I would like to Thank You now for letting us know. If it wasn't for your blog I would have never known about this event that will hopefully become a family tradition from now. Thank You Again, MaryAnn

Anonymous said...

Our family went as well and had a wonderful time. I do agree Station 7 has THE BEST fries! The atmosphere was great and it was nice to be able to take our daughter to an event and not worry about "what might happen next". We were truly suprised with the fireworks as they were AWESOME. Had I not heard about the event on this blog I wouldn't have known so thanks Joe. We will definitely return next year.