Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

What am I doing to fight high fuel prices?

To answer Sunnyinoc's question I had to put it in a post rather than a comment.

Since we own a company that sells energy efficient vinyl replacement windows and a company that installs them at a price lower than anyone else (little plug there), we thought it would be natural to draw attention to the "energy saving" benefits of going green in any advertising we do. We also thought it would be only natural to do what we can to conserve as we conduct business as well. With the price of diesel fuel high enough to make me scream with no end in sight, I made a command decision to investigate the option of powering our trucks with.....Bio Diesel. What's more, we're making it ourself. That's right. I have several local resaurants who give me their used cooking oil from their deep
fryers.
I'll accumulate it until I have enough for a batch, then I'll go to work. Lye and alcohol mixed with the oil in a ratio determined by the acidity of the oil, heated to 120 deg. and circulated does the trick. I purchased the equipment to conduct titration testing which took me back to my days high school science class. Beakers, test tubes, graduated cylinders, electronic scales, Ph testers, etc. The reactor (shown above) operates on a timer and, once the chemicals are introduced to the oil, it operates on its own. Once the reactor is finished, I draw off the glycerine (a by-product), and filter the bio diesel through a purolite filtration system which pulls out any moisture, glycerine, soaps, and impurities that didn't separate during the reaction phase.

Pictured here is the test vehicle. Our 2001 Ford E-450 Cube Van has a 7.3 liter International Harvester diesel. We're currently on our first tank and it's......different. It runs more quietly and the exhaust smells like french fries. Really.

Once we run this truck succesfully for a while, we'll try our 2006 F-350 dually with the 6.0 liter Navistar diesel and our John Deere 110 compact tractor with a 43 horsepower diesel.

Admittedly, the first batch was messy and it smells. Oil all over me, the floor, the van...... but I'll get better at it. The cost to make? 'Bout $2.00 - $2.50 a gallon.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally some body that uses their head!!! Meet me at thrashers!!!

Anonymous said...

What will be the compromises in performance,if any? Years agoI gave all my used trans fluid{I'm a transmission rebuilder} to an old guy who had a primitive refining/filtering system. He powered 3 Mercedes with it. I dispose of over 250 gallons a year now.

Anonymous said...

the 7.3 litre has mechanical injectors in the engine. should be ok in that one. i would ck with ford if any warranty remains on the 06 with the 6.0 diesel which has eletronic pulsed injectors ford had had tons of problems with that engine and injectors pushing diesel fuel into the oil pan . i agree good idea but for dollars sake i would ck

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Maybe more people will follow your lead.

Anonymous said...

Most food processors use oil
to fry their product. You should
look into reclaiming the oil they use. We would use Dover products
and give them about 400 gals.
Try the seafood co. or chicken co..

Anonymous said...

The only drawback to using biodiesel is cold weather it will gel, get like crisco. I have a thought about this and a method that needs to be tested by some willing participant that could possibly prevent this from happening. Providing the plan works, wont know until it's tried.

Larger diesel engines like those found in BIG TRUCKS, have a fuel heater and separator on the engine. I don't know about the smaller diesels. Are they equipped with these?

Anyway, Granddad give me a call and lets test this theory of mine. It won't cost a boat load of money and it won't harm your vehicle so you've got nothing to lose but some time.

Donna

Unknown said...

They have systems that heat the tank and have a secondary tank for cold starts that's regular diesel fuel. The whole system is automatic switchover once oil is warmed.

Tim Chaney said...

Way to go Granddad, recycling is big money now days, people are stealing copper wire faster than electricians can get a house wired up.

Great brainstorming peoples and hope you come up with a successful blend.

Anonymous said...

How much used oil does it take to make 1 tank of diesel?

Bob said...

one gal. used cooking oil = one gal bio diesel.

Bob said...

A county in Oregon uses B100 (100% bio diesel) in the fall, summer, and winter, and uses a 50/50 blend in winter.

Anonymous said...

OUR family is checking into a wind generator (windmill). It might be a good idea for us, since we live in a rural area and our property is a slight hill. There may be some benefit financially, but there certainly will be a benefit in that we won't be using ALL fossil fuels to heat, cool, and otherwise supply domestic power to our home. I'll let you guys know how it works.

joe albero said...

"Admittedly, the first batch was messy and it smells. Oil all over me, the floor, the van...... but I'll get better at it. The cost to make? 'Bout $2.00 - $2.50 a gallon."

At least you don't stink like diesel fuel, you're name isn't Ray Lewis and you were just pulled over by Mike Lewis in a Cube Van! LOL

Anonymous said...

So is there a mileage reduction? Or nothing that you've noticed yet.

Bob said...

Seems to be as peppy. Much quieter. Don't notice anything as far as mileage increase or decrease yet. I've been reading that B100 reduces your emissions as much as 79%. I'm working with a company out of Houston right now to develop a new purolite filtration system that can increase output without compromising quality. Compromising quality is not an option. I want this fuel to operate without the gelling that occurs when you don't remove all of the soap and glycerine. It should be absolutely crystal clear.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking seriously into solar panels for my home. With the grant from the state and the tax credits from state and federal you can't beat it. What is more free than the sun, other than wind? I have solar powered yard lights why not my home? If I can make that meter run backwards it will be a happy day on Delmarva, for me.

Just read that Larry Hagman (J.R. on Dallas) fitted his entire ranch with solar power, his monthly electric cost to operate his mansion and stables is roughly $30 a month. Of course he spent $750,000 to turn his home solar but it will be worth it in the long run.

Anonymous said...

Excellent. But if the state realizes what you are doing they will fine you for using untaxed fuel. I wouldn't have it on a blog.

Anonymous said...

If you leave a gallon of petro diesel in your tank and add bio-diesel to fill, it becomes an additive.