Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Making Of A World Champion









Many may not be familiar with the name or recognize Fernando Guerrero but millions of people will know exactly who this guy is world wide this Wednesday night as he debuts on ESPN II at 8:00 PM from the Bell Auditorium.

Fernando and his manager Hal Chernoff left this morning around 4:00 AM to Baltimore where they'll catch a flight to Augusta, Georgia for the 5th fight of Fernando's career. So far Fernando is 4-0, all 4 fights won by knock out! He'll be fighting a man named Valentino Galamo, who is 2-2. I just want to warn everyone, Fernando's fight could be earlier, it could be later?

Last week Fernando sparred with former World Champion Paul Williams. After asking Fernando what that experience was like he said, "It made me believe I belong in the ring and a Champion." Fernando wanted ALL other kids from the Salisbury area to know, they can do it to, they can make it, I did.

I asked his Coach, Manager, Best Friend and Dad, Hal, what makes Fernando so special? Hal explained how he's better than Roy Jones Jr. & Floyd Mayweather, (? sp) Hal's very proud of this young man and although Hal is Fernando's adopted Dad, (so to speak) he truly treats him like one of his own and disciplines him to teach him right or wrong.

Keep your eyes out for this young man Ladies & Gentlemen, he's truly special and this young man LOVES Salisbury, "It's my home." He hopes to win the Championship so he can bring HBO and ESPN right here to Salisbury and not have to travel any more.

UPDATE: I just read elsewhere: his fight will be on Wednesday Night Fights at around 10 PM ET or after the major league baseball game.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The owner of the embroidery shop on pemberton drive and boxing place on 13. Is this his son?

Anonymous said...

Good luck to this young man!! As a boxing fan I will certainly be watching and cheering for him. What a great example of one of Salisbury's young people! Cathy-Jo

Anonymous said...

Great story! I can't wait to watch him. I think this is just what Wicomico County and Salisbury needs right now. With all the negative things happening around us it's nice to have a young man like Fernando representing our town. Everyone should be excited about this.

Stewart Wallace

Anonymous said...

no the owner of the embroidery shop on pemberton dr is not his father nor does Fernando have any affiliation with his gym anonynous

Anonymous said...

Between this and the Child Advocacy Center post, there are 2 things of which Salisbury can finally be proud. I agree with Stewart; there are POSITIVE things happening here, and thanks for posting them, Joe. And to Terry and Debbie, 2 more of the positive things here, you are awesome. No matter what some of the idiots put in the TT, I know you and think you are great!

Tim Chaney said...

I too am excited that this young man has given this area a reason to hold their heads high. Expectations for this young man are huge and I wish him the best.

There are a couple people that live or lived in this area that were World Champions.

One being Tom Brown, I think he has 2 Super Bowl rings. Then the Late J.J. Wright that played with the Baltimore Colts with Johnny "U.," and I saw his Super Bowl ring, a site to see I must say. If I have left anyone out just add to the post.....

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and continued success in your professional endeavors. It appears that both Fernando and Mr. Chernoff are already champions in the real sense, as humans forging a bond, making a committment, setting goals, mutual respect, and hard work.
Nalagirl

Unknown said...

While not a fan of boxing, it is great to see someone from the area make it bigtime. Best of luck!!

Anonymous said...

I would add the west salisbury little leaguers from 07. That was pretty special for this area.

Anonymous said...

mr. chernoff is an upstanding citizen of our community.... fernando must be too, if hal supports him..... i have always been a big boxing fan, and although boxing interest has waned, fernando should make it exciting... huge for salisbury... go get 'em, fern!!!!!

Tim Chaney said...

You are so right Nalagirl. And how could I forget the West Salisbury Little League?

Anonymous said...

finally some good news! hope he does well... need a local to look up too. josh s

Tim Chaney said...

He's going to be on ESPN 2 tonight. I have a couple things to do for our neighborhood association tonight. I hope I get home in time to see his match. From what I hear they don't last long. If I miss it I hope one of the TV stations have the highlights.

Anonymous said...

As a Newbie, I am constantly exploring online for articles that can be of imagination to me. Change you https://www.embromix.com