Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Wicomico County Is Seeing Its Fair Share Of Troubles

While I am angry at States Attorney Davis Ruark for driving under the influence of alcohol, I'm also concerned for a man I truly respect. I can easily recall a time in my life when I was going through a separation with my Ex Wife, I owned a Bar that was just opening and I thought, this could go one way or the other. I chose to quit drinking, period, end of story.

It probably made things much more difficult to deal with but as you can tell by the Blog, I have one of those personalities that when I get into something, I go all out. I didn't want that to happen with alcohol.

In Mr. Ruark's case, well, this is the man expected to set the example for ALL, similar to Sheriff Mike Lewis and yes, even Chief Webster. I can tell you that Sheriff Lewis would rather get up at 5:00 AM and work out than he would party the night away. He chose that as his vise while others chose alcohol.

I can tell you that in Mr. Ruark's case, not only was he aware of his position publicly, he was warned in the past to stay away from drinking and driving and obviously he did not listen. I am NOT saying this to go on the attack of a good friend/associate/States Attorney. I am doing so because it has become my job to tell it like it is and I have even had this conversation with Davis several weeks ago and he is well aware of the position he has placed me in.

In all reality, I too am very disappointed. Unless Mr. Ruark chooses to get into a program for this addiction/problem, I cannot support him. Not as a States Attorney anyway. As a friend/associate, I'll do everything in my powers to support him, should he choose to do something about this addiction. That's what we're supposed to do.

Frank White from Princess Anne took his punishment head on and Davis Ruark should do the same. Unfortunately, we all have experienced difficult times in our lives and I believe Davis has hit that stretch of road. No excuses Folks. However, I will be there to support him unless he refuses help and or treatment.

For those who believe this will be swept under the rug, you couldn't be further from the truth. Davis will face this head on and like I said, this could go one way or the other. Sometimes this kind of think can be life altering, (as it was for me) and he'll quit forever. Then again, some people think they're Superman and can get through anything, that happens a lot. Time will tell?

Wicomico County is certainly experiencing some very difficult times this past week. Ray Lewis, Ron Alessi, Several Employees and now Davis Ruark. I wouldn't want to walk in County Executive Rick Pollitt's shoes right now.

That's "Keepin It Real."

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, very nice it shows a lot of class on your part.

joe albero said...

For those of you adding links to other sites, I will not allow it. Your comments are fine but links and stories elsewhere will not be permitted.

Anonymous said...

it is your job.... you have made it your job to stick your nose in other peoples business like some busybody know it all in powelville.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
The question I would like to know is "was he driving a county issued vehicle?"
8:50 AM

According to the police report from another news source website the vehicle was the county issued vehicle that we, the tax payers paid for. IMHO Mr. Ruark has no option other than resign. He is a "County/State employee" who works for us. This is unacceptable and should not be tolerated. Mr. Ruark I am sorry, but you need to resign effective immediately. Most employers have rules about drinking and driving, abusing the privileges of take home vehicles, etc.

Anonymous said...

Since the States Attorney's position is a State Office Rick Pollitt has no control or responsbility.
Hopefully Davis will do the right think and either resign or step aside temporarily until this is settled in open court.
If this is swept under the carpet,never again will his office be able to prosecute a DUI/DWI case with any crediabilty.

Anonymous said...

Apparently, he's lives at Mitzi Perdue's apartment in OC and has been for some time.

Anonymous said...

yuck, who would sleep with mitzi perdue??

Anonymous said...

Joe--your honesty and speaking from personal experience on this matter is appreciated. For those of us who have witnessed first-hand the predictable downward spiral that occurs in alcohol abuse, it is absolutely like watching a train wreck happen. The good news is that it is one of those pivotal moments when life can be taken back and other choices made. Davis knows this and I have confidence he will do what is necessary.

Anonymous said...

Everyone makes mistakes... Time will heal...

Anonymous said...

put a machine in his car so he will have to to a breath test before it starts. just like other city / county employees have had.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Since the States Attorney's position is a State Office Rick Pollitt has no control or responsbility.
Hopefully Davis will do the right think and either resign or step aside temporarily until this is settled in open court.
If this is swept under the carpet,never again will his office be able to prosecute a DUI/DWI case with any crediabilty.

10:02 AM

The County has a lot of say in this position. Where do you think the funding comes from? Check the county website. The county can cut off funding any time it wants to.

The county is not obligated to fund all to the states attorneys positions or the vehicles. It is also not obligated to provide raises to the current DA's.

Anonymous said...

I had a lot of respect for Davis Ruark and cannot believe the news this morning. I hope that he is not treated any differently in court from any other citizen.

Anonymous said...

Knowing Davis Ruarks track record and the kind of man he is, I seriously doubt he would ask for or expect any preferential treatment. He is a good man that made a mistake. He knows he is wrong, we know he is wrong. I'm sure justice will prevail. Don't expect jail time that is ridiculous. Every DUI in the newspaper doesn't get jail time, not even those that have been allowed to drive with 32 points on their license got jail time. He should be remanded to treatment and fined heavily. Expecting anything more is vindictive as well as ridiculous. Fortunately, he will be tried in Worcester County where he was arrested and charged. Don't give him any breaks but don't expect the hangman either.

Anonymous said...

Putting a breathalyzer on the ignition is stupid, any idiot can get somebody else to blow in it. It's been done before. I hope he can make a come back, welcome recovery and move forward. I hope he doesn't resign, it's an elected position, let the voter/citizens decide his position. Insisting he resigns doesn't mean we wouldn't end up with somebody that is worse. The judge or jury will decide his punishment. He should however forfeit a vehicle owned by the county taxpayers, in which taxpayers will have to pay more to insure if he is allowed to continue driving it.

Anonymous said...

Anon 3:06 You have hit on something that none of us have considered. Let the man run again for reelection, let the people decide. He can recuse himself from all DUI cases if necessary. Very good thinking. I'd vote for Davis again as would everyone in my family. He's a good man that made a mistake.

Let those without sin cast the first stone.