Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Senator Richard Colburn Endorses Andy Harris


Editor at the Star Democrat:

Last week, an advertisement was placed in this newspaper attacking me by
E.J. Pipkin. He criticized me because I have given my endorsement to State
Senator Andy Harris in his bid to become our Congressman.

I am thankful for those of you who called my office to express outrage
that Pipkin would attack me. Pipkin has shown he will sink to desperate
measures to try to win this election. The misleading and dishonest attack
by Pipkin is an embarrassment to the voters and unbecoming of a State
Senator.

As you may know, I was born, raised, and have lived on the Eastern Shore
all my life with the exception of my three years in the U.S. Army Security
Agency [1969-1972]. If Senator Pipkin was really one of us like he claims
in his ads, and not just a New York junk-bond trader who moved here less
than 10 years ago after making millions, he would understand that the type
of campaign he is running is not acceptable to the voters on the Shore.

Andy Harris by contrast is a principled leader. He is a strong
conservative and I am convinced he will make a great Congressman. He is a
family man, a doctor at Johns Hopkins, and a veteran.

I am supporting Andy Harris because our nation faces a great threat.
Islamic radical terrorists want to destroy our very way of life. Votes
over the past year have reaffirmed my belief that Gilchrest is definitely
not committed to fighting terrorists. He voted to establish a timeline to
withdraw troops in Iraq and he opposed the troop surge which has proven to
be highly successful. Gilchrest even voted to prevent President Bush from
striking Iran unless they strike us first. Andy Harris has the right
vision to win the War on Terror. Harris is still a member of the U.S.
Naval Reserves Medical Corps and I know he will always support our troops.

Finally, I am endorsing Andy because he believes in traditional values.
Andy Harris is pro-life; Pipkin and Gilchrest are not. Andy Harris opposes
tax-payer funding of abortions; Gilchrest and Pipkin support it. Andy
Harris opposes giving special rights to homosexual couples; Gilchrest and
Pipkin embrace giving special rights to gay couples.

The contrast between the candidates is clear. Andy Harris is the true
conservative in this race; Gilchrest and Pipkin are not. I hope Pipkin
will stop his dishonest and win-at-all cost campaigning and engage in an
open and honest debate of the issues facing our nation today. I know Andy
Harris will keep focusing on the issues and not the type of character
assassination Pipkin has engaged in.

People occasionally ask me why I am supporting someone that is not “from
the Shore.” I am supporting Andy because over the last nine years I have
served with him in the State Senate; he has proven to me that he is the
only candidate who shares our Shore values such as a strong belief in the
second amendment (right to bear arms.) From agriculture issues, to
protecting our tax dollars, to protecting the Chesapeake Bay, Andy Harris
shares our values and will best represent them in Congress.

I know with Andy as our Congressman, that I will no longer have to worry
about how my Congressman is going to vote on issues important to our way
of life. I hope you will join me in supporting Andy Harris for Congress.

Senator Richard Colburn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew there was something i didn't trust about that Pipkin guy.

Anonymous said...

I already voted for Andy!!! I just wish I could do it again. Of course, if I were a Democrat, I could...

Anonymous said...

Mr. Albero, I don't agree with you on certain issues, but I put my contention with you & your blog aside when it comes to an important national election such as this. I too beleive that Mr. Harris is the best man in this race, and I just voted for him.
So here you have it, we agree on something important.
Matt.

joe albero said...

Thank You Mat! You'll never regret your decision. Joe