Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Get Out and Vote!

Don't forget to vote today, particularly if you live in Maryland's First District. Your candidate of choice needs your vote and if you haven't made firm choice, vote for Andy Harris.

My friend and Red Maryland colleague Michael Swartz (of MonoBlogue fame) has gone out on a limb with some pretty detailed predictions. While I will agree that McCain should handily win the Maryland primary and I substantially agree that the First District GOP congressional primary is awful close, I think that Michael is overlooking one thing that will put Andy Harris over the top. I expect Mike Huckabee to garner far more than 26%, both statewide and in the First District.

A Huckabee voter should be a Harris voter. I know of few, if any, Huckabee supporters who are not adamant social conservatives. I cannot understand any social conservative voting for either Gilchrest or Pipken when they have a choice like Harris. I can't imagine a social conservative pulling the lever for Pipken under any circumstances. His record on abortion and same-sex unions effectively knock him out of contention with these voters.

Given strong support (not an official endorsement, but through issues advocacy) through the Association of Maryland Families, and the endorsement of strong values based conservatives such as James Dobson, Phyllis Schlafly and Maryland Sen. Lowell Stoltzfus, Harris should receive the bump necessary to win today.

cross posted at Delmarva Dealings



Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just voted for both!!! Sounds good to me.

Anonymous said...

Now That's funny! Are you a democrat?

Anonymous said...

I voted today at Wi Hi. I do have a complaint. I don't know if anyone else here was there but they way they had the voting booths up were terrible. Anyone standing at the 1st booth could look down the line and see others votes. And if you were at any of the other booths you had the chance of being bumped by the judge setting the machine behind you. I'm all for technology but bring back the curtains.