Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Comment Worth Posting, IMO

"Officers cutting down each other, Mr. Albero, and civilians for giving opinions.

Officers using profanity in rebuttal.

Officers blaming others for their lack of respect for each other and the citizens who pay their salary.

Officers messing with other peoples significant others.

The lack of compassion for the few who do their job with dignity and loyalty on and off the job.

The lack of truthfulness within the job.

The fact it seems that all the self righteousness that always seem to come to the surface. It almost seems that greed and selfishness has flourished so deeply in the job, that salary and take home cars are the center topic for law enforcement to argue amongst each other. I wanted the job for the risk. Just for the simple fact that I may have a chance to change a life, even save one. When something good is done someone always finds away to put a name on it. I'm surprised that there are not more police on medical leave for hurting themselves by patting themselves on the back so often.

And mostly the lack of acceptance of responsibility. Should I mention the so called "leaders" who continue to let this behavior happen. That is a whole new topic in itself.I remember the day when "brotherhood" meant going to the limits for one another. That means going to the limits to keep each other OUT of trouble, not defend and lie once in it! When it meant something to save each others families, reputations, and feelings not ruin them. To not abuse or take advantage of the "perks" of the job. To stop and help people in need whether in a POV or a take home car. Then when it's all done never even mention it to anybody. Those days are long gone.

I still have hope. It has to start somewhere, apparently not with anyone who logs in here. The way the opinions are voiced here by police is an embarrassment to the respected agencies. Anyone with half a mind can figure out which agencies the voices are coming from.

Sad, Very sad."

7 comments:

Bob said...

I don't know who wrote this but I, too, can recall a time when I came in to work two hours before my shift began and the person I was relieving would stay two hours later. We did this because there were problems in our community which needed to be addressed. We never reflected it on our time sheets...we just did it. It came from a sense of duty and commitment to our profession. My partner at that time was Arnold Downing of the Berlin Police Dept.

Times are changing. So are people. Officers didn't tolerate stupid behavior from other officers....we policed ourselves. There was a different level of pride back then. I believe that a general lack of pride in your work attitude has permeated an entire generation - not just police officers. But there is one thing that has always been. We learned about it from Mike Gray when we were in the academy and I'v witnessed it personally. When police officers aren't fighting crime, they fight one another.

Older officers need to take direct measures to teach the younger ones to take pride in what they do. You can't just muddle through and hope they catch on. You have to teach them. First line supervisors have a greater responsibility than to just chew the asses of of the younger guys for making a mistake on their reports.

Anonymous said...

This is what I once believed when I accepted my badge. I was betrayed, then I began down the road you speak. I got off that road before I got ran over. I blamed myself, then others. But in the end it does "have to start somewhere".
I, along with a few of my colleagues still have hope and will continue to push to better ourselves, and our departments. Sadly to say but, most likely somewhere else for some. In the mean time I will pray and hope one day I can work with men and women like you. It's about the job. Not awards, not reckoning, and especially not the pat on the back. I get enough of that from my kids.
I wonder if I have changed a life since being on the job? I would pray that I have... positively of course.
In the mean time, let's get some criminals off the streets.

Anonymous said...

You think police are bad? You should see the local firefighters! LOL

Anonymous said...

Oh stop. What a crock.

Anonymous said...

While your posting does bear a lot of truth ( I'll give you that.) I kinda think its your comment to get some comments. And we all know what agency your insinuating about, big surprise. Like I said, its very sad but true. But all agencies are quilty of the political bs, favoritism, petty bs, and rivalry. We all are supposed to be brothers, and in my opinion we back up our fellow agencies 100% during a call, but most officers are quick to bitch and complain about the other agencies as soon as its over. We all do need to remember why we started this job, and a lot of us need to grow up; but writing this so called comment isnt helping at all.

-"SP"

Anonymous said...

Wow, can you say "stereotyping". That description is so far from true of any of the officers that I have had the pleasure of meeting it is unreal (regardless of the agency).

Oh, and by the way, if they don't pat themselves on the back,
WHO ELSE WILL ???

Anonymous said...

Thats the point, you had the pleasure of "meeting" a select few that were "great" people. I bet you that if you truly knew that person "you got to meet" you would see a different side!
you had the pleasure of meeting (meeting being the operative word)these officers. Do you know or work with them on a daily basis? The "act" they put on for you may and most likely is a lot different than their true self. I have and do know many officers and each year it gets worse(from every agency in this county and places I have previously lived...by far the worst here). Meeting and knowing are two totally different things.

There is nothing wrong with patting yourself on the back for a job well done, but patting yourself on the back and spitting in your partners face in the meantime...not acceptable! Thats what you would see more frequently had you KNOWN them.

I will add, not ALL of them are like this, but as the writer and grand dad have said it is far to common now, more so than ever!