Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, November 30, 2007

The Park On The West Side







Last night was an interesting evening of Politics & Concerned Citizens getting together for what would appear to be about the people.

However, it is my opinion after spending hours listening the almost everyone there speak, this is not the location I would recommend a Park be located. Allow me to explain why.

First of all, I trust Rick Pollitt. However, being that I have seen so much crap through the Mayor of Salisbury and the majority of the City Council, it's very easy for me to be skeptical.

When Rick started the meeting he mentioned there was a process. The County was not going to purchase this land if the Citizens didn't think it was the right place for such a Park. Rick also mentioned that IF they were to purchase the property, they would not develop the Park until ALL of the road infrastructure was complete first. Does anyone have a clue the millions upon millions of dollars it would cost just to upgrade those roads to accomodate such a facility?

What that says to me is, let's buy it just like all the other land we have purchased in the past and sit on it, (That may not be a bad idea either). Some properties are now being considered to dump sludge on because it wasn't the kind of land the County expected it to be in the end. Another piece of property, (Pirates Wharf) the County purchased has sat for 10 years now and Gary Mackeys stated 9 months out of the year the property is almost knee deep in water.

Now can someone please tell me how in the heck the County purchased such land in the first place? Secondly, how confident can the Taxpayers be if the County didn't research such property well enough to know it was wetlands most of the year?

Nevertheless, far too many people stood up against this Park and they had excellent reasons for why they didn't want it. One Citizen stated, we moved out here into the country because we wanted to get away from City life. We moved here to get away from the Parks and now you're shoving it down our throats? Another Citizen stated, we don't burden this area with a multitude of children for such a Park here.

Some Citizens complained a lot about the current road conditions and how there's no possible way the adults and or children could even ride biked down their roads. It sounded as if these people need help now, let alone when a Park would come to their area.

There were some who came stating they were in favor of such a Park. One of them, Anne Webster, President of the Hotel/Motel Assoc. strongly encouraged the economic impact from such attractions. Tom Fields lives right across the street from the proposed Park and stated he'd rather see a Park there than a housing development.

As for the appraisal, the County claims the two appraisals that did in fact come in were LOWER than what they had expected it to be. So the rumor of this costing $35,000.00 an acre could be far fetched. Then again, sometimes rumors get spread like this so when the REAL numbers come in, the Citizens think it's a bargain?

I personally like the Waller Landing idea better. Granted, it's a few miles from this location but like I said, it's a planned community in which people are going to know what they're getting into, rather than disturbing those people who moved to the country to enjoy the peace and quiet. I need to add, NO ONE has come forward with a piece of property for sale on the west side that would accommodate such a Park, period. That does make this an attractive piece of land but is it the right land for such a Park?

The County Council will have their hands full on this one. 4 out of the 7 County Council Members were there last night to hear every one's support and or concerns.

I'd like to add this final note. I moved to Bowie, Maryland in 1973. I watched that Town go from fields like we see around here now to an absolute Metropolis! People may complain about PG County and even Bowie but let me tell you something Bowie did some 35 years ago. Bowie had a Master Plan in which they created the most unbelievable Bike & Hikers Trail like you've NEVER seen before. The crap Comegys spews all the time about Bike Trails/Routes throughout Salisbury is NOT what it's supposed to be.

Bowie create trails around the entire City and through the entire City. I'm talking, (and I'm guessing) 10 miles of bike trails? It was NOT done on the side of roads already in existence. These were strictly for bikes, hikers, joggers, walkers, skateboarders, roller bladers and so forth and so on. It is a black top trail that just goes on and on throughout Bowie and now other Towns.

This is a model in which "I" personally believe should be considered from this point forward here on the Eastern Shore. Hebron would make a perfect start. Plan ALL communities whereas you can create a safe environment for everyone to enjoy. I know if this was available in Hebron, I'd bring my Grandson there regularly to enjoy a safe riding experience like Bowie has to offer.

Much of this could be funded by developers interested in building in Wicomico County. However, a Master Plan of a Trail like this must be looked at NOW, before things get too far out of control growth wise. If BOWIE could do it 35 years ago, Wicomico County could do it now before things do pop up too fast. I also believe property owners would be willing to donate small parts of their property to allow such trails to pass through. If you travel towards the Western Shore, even Kent Island and other surrounding Towns have trails right along Rt. 50. They're beautiful and some of the best entertainment around.

I'm sorry I went on so long about this but even though I come from the Western Shore, some times we COME HERE'S can enhance better living and yes, even cleaner living. More bikes create cleaner air and less use of fuel. Start working on a Master Plan for such, it can't hurt!

Keep in mind, this is just my oinion and I look forward to hearing what everyone has to say. That's what makes this Blog so cool. Agree with me or disagee with me, the end result is who wants what and perhaps the County can follow the comments made here to help them make a final decision.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe:

This issue -- whether the County should bail out Mr. Davis by buying the land for a park -- is a great poll question for you.

WatchfulEye said...

Joe, you are totally right. A plan where there are routes throughout the city and surrounding area for people to take "nature walks" is an awesome idea. My grandfather was an avid walker, walking 4 to 5 miles a day, and biking another 2 miles. He did this up until a few months before he died 10 years and 9 months ago. We always worried, since he only could walk on the shoulders of some of the roads, and I always thought it would be good to have walking trails for the regulars.

Tim Chaney said...

After GOV O'Money has cut the counties budget by $6.4 million I don't foresee any rural road improvements in the immediate future in my opinion.

I thought the land didn't perk for most of that property so what's the rush if there can't be major development?

I imagine the city's wish list for $1.4 million differential will also be out of the question.

With all the money that get's thrown around $1.4 million doesn't really sound like a lot, but isn't that about 1% of the whole county budget?

Santa will have to tighten the belt this year. Should we really expect more bonuses for the upper echelon again this year?

Unknown said...

Wow Joe, didnt know you are a former Bowieite like me!! I have ridden those trails esp. from Stoneybrook Dr up to Hilltop Plaza or Whitemarsh park. Great trail thru the woods.
I graduated from BHS in 85 and moved to Salisbury in 89. The changes in that town are amazing, and thats what I liked about Salisbury. I sure Hope Salisbury doesnt become another new Bowie... traffic there is terrible now. Almost as bad as Annapolis.
You are correct about the bike paths... built before all the growth helped. Not sure where in Salisbury you could build bike paths now.
Bowie was designed much differantly than Salisbury. I dont think there is a straight street in that town!! At least when I was there. And there was a lot of open space. I do get back there about 6-8 times a year as my parents and sisters still live there, but it does amaze me how much that town has grown. How long did you live there?
Sorry for the long post but I dont find people who have heard of, let alone lived in my "hometown".

Tim Chaney said...

Bowie, Laurel, Greenbelt, Cherry Hill, College Park, they all run right into each other.

Just like Fruitland, Salisbury and Delmar have become. Yup, 50,000 more people is just what this county needs. Nobody will have any water.