Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, February 16, 2007

In Other Words, This IS Peter Pan!

Once you read the article in this morning's Daily Times, (if you're smart enough to realize) this product is a private label product from Peter Pan.

As a manufacturer of many years, private labeling and outsourcing is the way to go these days. It allows you to make better deals with larger volume customers and at the same time, keep the list price of the main product, (in this case Peter Pan) up at a level you'll either pay the higher price thinking you're getting a better product or you'll buy the volume for the lower price. Either way, the manufacturer is way ahead of the game and the customers think they're getting a better deal. Heck, this photo is living proof in some cases we're in for the better deal.

Now here's my problem with the entire recall BS! My wife left the jar on the counter and I said, so what are you going to do with it? She replied, they're suggesting we throw it away and buy a new jar. OH NO! I said, was it a part of the recall? No, but that's what they said to do. I said, did you get sick and did our Grandson get sick from eating any of it? NO. And you're going to throw it away just because they suggest you do so? "I'm not eating it!"

Oh, the power of suggestion, That's right Folks, throw away every jar you have, EVEN IF IT'S 1/2 EMPTY and no one got sick! It cost the manufacturer NOTHING to suggest you throw any and all peanut butter so you can buy even more. Dee, Dee, Deeeee! I'm keeping mine and I'm going to eat the damn thing just out of principal. I'm SO brave!

Update.....

I should add that our jar of peanut butter does NOT start with 2111. If it did, I would have thrown it out.

1 comment:

Michael Swartz said...

If I heard the news item on the radio correctly, the Peter Pan/GV recall was based on peanut butter out of a Georgia plant, but other facilities in other states also make the Great Value peanut butter. So it may not necessarily be a rebranded Peter Pan product in other locations...could be Jif or Skippy.

And to think I just killed off a jar of Peter Pan not too many days ago, and now I have an inner ear infection. Should I sue? :)

(No, it was not in one sitting - probably over about a month's time.) Unfortunately I just tossed out the jar in last week's garbage so someone at the landfill could have a free jar of peanut butter if they know where to look...assuming this jar was among the "lucky" jars!