Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, November 02, 2019

WALSH: ‘Happy Wife, Happy Life,’ And Four Other Pieces Of Horrible Marriage Advice

My wife and I celebrate our eighth wedding anniversary this week. By millennial standards, we have officially gained Old Married Couple status. To mark this new phase of our journey, I have started wearing Hawaiian shirts and fanny packs.

I am far from a relationship guru — if such a thing even exists — but I have learned a few things after eight years and four kids. I probably need another few years under my belt (or in my fanny pack, as the case may be) before I start dispensing marriage tips, but I can at least point out the bad ones. So, to celebrate eight years of matrimony, I thought I’d highlight the five worst, yet most common, pieces of advice often given to young couples. I am convinced that all of these morsels of faux-wisdom must originate with divorce attorneys:

1. “Never go to bed angry.”

Like most bad advice, this sounds nice in theory but can be lethal in practice. If you and your spouse are angry at the end of the day, you have two options: (A) Go to bed, sleep it off, wake up in the morning and realize that whatever you were mad about doesn’t really matter that much, or (B) fight it out until the wee hours of the morning, and still go to bed angry. The first option is almost always the better one.

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree with this whole heartedly.

I am honest with my wife and I expect her to be honest with me.

I understand that she has different views than I do, and I expect her to understand that my views are different. (truth be told we agree on 99% of everything)

I made a vow to have and to hold to honor and respect. I also made a promise to her late father that I would would always be faithful to her and a good provider.

After 38 years, I enjoy every day that I can make her happy. She is my best friend!

Anonymous said...

No sex = No marriage Hint Hint !!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Abby.

Anonymous said...

November 2, 2019 at 9:01 PM

maybe for you, not everyone thinks that way.

Anonymous said...

That happy wife happy life bs stated in public will trigger a reaction from me. I yank their man card out of their wallet and shred it.

Anonymous said...

Married 53 years. Hell I don't have a clue why it has lasted so long. We just get along. We laugh alot - had bad times but hey we are okay. Maybe because we both worked long days and for almost 40 years. Go figure.