Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, November 10, 2018

1 in 3 US veterans suffers depression and 25% binge-drink, survey finds

Depression and binge-drinking is woefully common among veterans, survey data show.

The tormenting mental health condition affects one in four unemployed veterans and one in three who do work.

The rate is strikingly high among those with a disability: nearly 70 percent of them are depressed.

What's more, 25 percent of veterans with depression say they binge-drink.

Dr Lawrence Weinstein, chief medical officer of the American Addiction Centers, which produced the survey, said the figures show clear areas for policymakers, physicians and families to work on as the suicide rate among vets continues its decade-long rise. ]

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a little confused. My husband is a Vietnam veteran. So he is called a Veteran - correct? My husband's health is good for his age. We are not homeless - thank God. Obama did his best though. I feel my husband with all Vets should be honored for service to their country. When people speak of Vets I am assuming they mean Vets who are in need. My point is (finally) not all Vets should be put in the same category. That is "support" our Veterans - should not include those that are not in need. Are you following me on this. Of course we lIke our10 percent discount at Lowe's. That's a nice thank you for serving. I feel that organizations asking to support our Vets are not very clear on who we are really supporting.

Anonymous said...

So does the majority of the Eastern Shore general population.