Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Elizabeth Esty won't run for re-election after sheltering abusive staffer

Rep. Elizabeth Esty, D-Conn., announced Monday that she will not run for re-election in November after she kept a top aide on staff for three months after learning he was accused of punching a female aide and then threatened to kill her.

"It is one of the greatest honors of my life that the people of Connecticut’s Fifth District elected me to represent them in Congress," Esty said in a statement. "However, I have determined that it is in the best interest of my constituents and my family to end my time in Congress at the end of this year and not seek re-election."

"Too many women have been harmed by harassment in the workplace. In the terrible situation in my office, I could have and should have done better," Esty said. "To the survivor, I want to express my strongest apology for letting you down. In Congress, and workplaces across the country, we need stronger workplace protections and to provide employees with a platform to raise concerns, address problems, and work to reduce and eliminate such occurrences, in the first place."

More

No comments: