Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Dr. Marc Siegel: Alex Azar, the new Health and Human Services secretary, has ideas to improve your health care

Under the current system, getting information about your own health care and the care your children get can be challenging and confusing.

What’s in your medical records? How do you even get access to them? How do you understand what all the strange medical terminology means in plain English? How much do particular treatments, procedures and drugs cost? How do you make intelligent choices about dealing with your health conditions? Why can’t you be in charge of your own health care?

These questions came to my mind last Wednesday when I learned that my 13-year-old son was receiving an inadequate antibiotic for an ear infection because his medical chart wrongly listed him as having a penicillin allergy. Though both my wife and I are physicians, we didn’t have automatic access to this information.

More
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/03/10/dr-marc-siegel-alex-azar-new-health-and-human-services-secretary-has-ideas-to-improve-your-health-care.html

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see which one of Azar's past coworkers or college classmates at Yale will stand to make millions off of this one

Anonymous said...

Unless the front staff people become doctors nothing will change. Front staff have all the power and least amount of skill. Complaining to your doctor gets you nowhere. Dr are in it for MONEY MONEY.

Anonymous said...

Talk to your doctors folks. Ask them questions. If they won't tell you what you are being treated for, or why, you need a new doctor. My primary care physician answers all my questions, even those about the doctors that perform tests, outside of her office, that I am referred too. Not just anybody can access your (or anybody else's) medical records, for a good reason. It's the law. I've never had a doctor that was treating me refuse to answer my questions. MY primary care physician recommends tests based on my complaints and symptoms, and I am free to follow though, or refuse the tests, and to refuse to follow her recommendations. I feel that I HAVE complete control over my heath care decisions and treatment. If you don't know what's going on, ask your doctor. No one is just going to drop your complete medical history in your hands. It is available from each of your doctors, but you have to ask for it. There can be a charge if you want a printed copy, as it takes up a considerable amount of the Doctor's office staff's time to produce, especially if you have an extensive treatment history.

Anonymous said...

He will be fired in a month or two. Or as soon as he disagrees with Emperor Trump