Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, August 31, 2017

University of Tampa professor fired for saying Texans deserve hurricane for voting Trump

The University of Tampa has fired a visiting professor who suggested on Twitter that Texas deserves the deadly devastation from Hurricane Harvey because it voted for President Trump in the 2016 election.

Visiting assistant sociology professor Kenneth L. Storey had tweeted Sunday, “I don’t believe in instant Karma but this kinda feels like it for Texas. Hopefully this will help them realize the GOP doesn’t care about them,” according to screenshots obtained by Campus Reform.

Mr. Storey added that “the good people there need to do more to stop the evil their state pushes. I’m only blaming those who support the GOP there.” He also said that the Trump voters in hurricane-prone Florida deserved the same fate.

Mr. Storey quickly deleted the tweets after making headlines at conservative news outlets, but the backlash was swift.

“I deeply regret a statement I posted yesterday,” he later apologized, The Tampa Bay Times reported. “I never meant to wish ill will upon any group. I hope all affected by Harvey recover quickly.”

The Times reported Tuesday that Mr. Storey had been fired.

More

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don’t believe in instant Karma but this kinda feels like it for this professor...

Anonymous said...

It's obvious that he DID wish I'll will upon a select group of people, people not like him.

Anonymous said...

He should watch what he says. Hurricane season isn't over yet. Tampa could be next.

Anonymous said...

Ah the pluses/minuses of social media! A few strokes on they keyboard and BAM - unemployed!

SMH!

Anonymous said...

I love how they say, they didn't intend, or wish ill on anyone or any group yet you still said it!!!

Anonymous said...

The school didn't lose much.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes free speech costs a lot!

Anonymous said...

No teacher or professor should be making comments like this. They should stick to education - period. I agree on the firing. I do not wish ill will on any of the people of Tampa or anywhere else. MD Eastern Shore has been lucky -- so far.

Anonymous said...

What do you expect from a sociology professor? Don't get me wrong. I love sociology, but teaching it is not like a real job. These nuts are seriously warped.