Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, December 03, 2016

Md. Prison Workers Claim State Withholding Overtime And Pay

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Dozens of prison employees say they are being shortchanged by the staff. It has sparked outrage and protests across Baltimore.

Correctional officers are demanding justice outside the Baltimore Central Booking and Intake Center, claiming the state is withholding weeks of overtime and pay.

“Car payments, rent to pay, I have children I take care of… It’s putting me in a hardship because my bills are being late,” said Towanda Kearney, former correctional officer.

Dozens of state employees are upset, feeling they have been cheated out of their hard-earned paychecks. Some are missing 50 to 60 hours.

More

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Half of them belong on the other side.

Anonymous said...

If they don't like the working conditions can't they go to work somewhere else? Are they being held in servitude at this job?

Anonymous said...

If you weren't getting your whole paycheck I bet you would talking to your boss easy to say when it's not you that's not getting your whole check to pay your bills. You must be living off of the government and get your FREE money every month. I bet if it was late you would be out there protesting that you can't put food on the table.

Anonymous said...

Damn, don't like any of them missed any meals!!!!!!

Zorro said...

Inmates like BIG GIRLS

Anonymous said...

That's not right. The state should pay what they're due in a timely manner.

Anonymous said...

Do away with overtime. Salary based jobs. End this crap and waste of money.

Anonymous said...

I've been with DOC for over 19 years. Never had a problem with my pay until 6 weeks ago when the state rolled out a new system called Workday. This system does not and will not work right with a 24/7 system. When I work overtime I expect my pay for it when due, not 6 weeks later. I don't think anyone else would argue. As far as a salary the supervisor's are on a salary. As for the comment about working conditions, come to work with me for a week, bet you wouldn't last 2 days.