Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, October 22, 2016

LEGENDARY COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER 10-22-16

FIRST CAR

How many of you remember your first car - especially those of you who grew up in the 50’s and 60’s? I remember mine well. My father and grandfather went halves on it for my graduation from Wi-Hi in 1961. I wanted a ’57, either a Ford or Chevy, because they were more stylish with their rear fins. Being a wiser and more practical man, my father found this ’56 Ford at Oliphant’s Chevrolet. At the time, a ’57 was priced at around $1295. This Ford was priced at $895. The price was $200 higher than most ‘56’s were going for because it only had 19,059 miles and was in great shape. It had belonged to two little old ladies (honestly) from Fruitland. They had bought it for their nephew and he only had it for 6 months before he gave it back to them for the same reason I didn’t like it at first – four door, automatic transmission and not very fast at all. But as any 17-year old, I was glad to get anything to call my own.

In those days, there was a saying that was going around that “if it didn’t run, chrome it”. I then began the transformation of a dowdy Ford into something with which I could be identified. My father was very understanding and said I could do anything I wanted with one exception. I couldn’t put a name on the side. In fact, he was more than supportive. Being an engineer at Wayne Pump he loved coming up with ideas for my car. The first thing we did was remove all the metal that was removable from the inside of the car. This included all the window frames, ash trays and the metal piece around the steering column that housed the letters that showed you what gear you were in. He then took all these pieces to the plant and had them dipped in the acid tank in the paint department, reducing them to bare metal. I then took them to Peninsula Goslee and they chrome plated them all for the princely sum of $35.

Next on the schedule was a trip to Wilmington for a set of Rayco seat covers. I had them custom made so that they looked like rolled and pleated leather, but they were actually pressed naugahyde. They looked great. In doing this article, I couldn’t even find “naugahyde” in the dictionary, so I guess that is something else that has passed like so many other things into the great abyss of “long-ago America”.

One of Pop’s best ideas was the rear deck. Since most of them were made out of cardboard and suffered the effects of the sun, he decided that mine should be made of rigidized stainless steel. This material had passed the weather test on the side of many a Sunoco pump, so he took my wrinkled up piece of cardboard and had the engineering lab cut one out to the exact dimensions. It looked fabulous and I was very proud of Pop for coming up with that idea.

Several other additions were custom Dodge four bar spinner wheel covers, “lake pipes” behind the front wheels that really sounded great when the caps were removed, glass pack mufflers and several other cosmetic changes. The monogram pictured above was also made in the Wayne engineering lab and replaced the “Ford” emblem on the dash compartment door. Even though it never “ran”, it was my signature possession and I loved it for the five years that I owned it.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article George.The Ford's and Chevy's were indeed the cars to have in that time frame.The mid 50's Mercury's were really good looking cars too.I always wanted a Corvette,but they were always too expensive.The 55,56,and 57 T-Birds were a sight to behold as well.

Anonymous said...

Did it have a 292 Engine in it?

George Chevallier said...

Yes, it did have a 292 Thunderbird engine according to the emblem on the car. I used to go up Main St. from Mill St. in low gear to about 40 mph and then turn the car off and let it wind down to about 10. When I turned it back on, it produced the loudest backfire.Salisbury police officer Jumbo Pusey would be standing on the corner of St. Peter St. and just shake his finger at me (in a friendly way). Those were the days.

Anonymous said...

My first was a 49 Buick - black, with mud flaps - back seat was great for fun with dates to show them how that "Dynaflow" worked!

Anonymous said...

Mine was a 1950 chev. fast back.

Anonymous said...

The 292 and 312 were decent small block motors. I had a 292 in my 57 Ford 2 door. I wish I still had that car.

Anonymous said...

'36 Ford v8 w/snuffbox pistons..$100. Seller towed it home for me & included a '34 transmission in the trunk.. Worked on it all night, titled & drove it to work next day after school.

Ben In Salisbury said...

I rolled over when the "kid gave the car back" because of speed. Loved the article and was gushing with some memories of my own but giving a car back seems to show "teen age stupidity can be timeless" Thanks for a great article

Anonymous said...

I can't stand to see a car with real potential just sit on someones property and rust.Locally around Salisbury I can think of several,and the owners refuse to sell them.while ago I was looking at a 62 (I think) 2 door Ford that's been sitting in a yard for at least 10 years that I know of.It may already be beyond restoring.What a shame.

Anonymous said...

We remember naugahyde, George. It came from the Naugabeast.

Anonymous said...

In those days cars were fun because, unlike today, they didn't all look alike.

Anonymous said...

My first car had a 45 RPM record player as a factory option.It played beautifully until I hit a big bump or a pothole.My record case was a lot smaller that what I eventually carried 8 track tapes in.

Anonymous said...

WOW....good article! Oliphant Chevrolet a long time dealer for Chevrolet....They were a good company until Mrs. Oliphant turned it over to family, downhill after that, put them right out of business.

Anonymous said...

I graduated with George My first car was a 54 Chevy Bellair 4 door sedan from Oliphant
in 1960

Anonymous said...


"I couldn’t even find “naugahyde” in the dictionary, so I guess that is something else that has passed like so many other things into the great abyss of “long-ago America”.


I found it in 1/2 of one second on on google, but George always was a little slow.