Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, October 02, 2016

A Viewer Writes: Acme in Salisbury response

Ok I feel I must comment myself as a long time Giant (and now Acme) employee....

Acme is trying to get rid of the old Giant employees? Absolutely not true. What IS true is that there is a 30 day "probationary" period in which Acme "weed out" any employees that don't make the cut. 

This, to me, is a good thing going forward. The special requests and the suggestions that MY customers fill out are taken very seriously. I cannot stress enough how much we (as a whole) care for our customers. Please bear with us as we make the transition from our former employer. We do listen. 

Am I glad I stayed? Absolutely. Why? Mainly the customers, but I am also willing to deliver on what we always have as employees. Top quality service, and top quality products. Unfortunately that comes at a price and many people are willing to pay a little more for better service and products. I'm not being paid to write this as I type on my iPad on my couch at home. The reason I am is because I want you to give us a chance......to listen to YOU.......OUR customers and try to correct what is needed before you go elsewhere. I'll agree that not everything is the same as it was before but please let us know what we can do to correct what is wrong. I really do take it to heart because I care very much about MY customers. 

A few more thoughts:

The meat is amazing. We have 6 butchers on duty and 2 wrappers daily. Cut, trimmed, and lean like it "used" to be a few years ago-not cut, pre-packaged and sent in from the warehouse....I am very proud of this as an employee. 

All seafood is CHEAPER than it "used" to be with the exception of the crab clusters which are $2 more a pound than they used to be:(
Try to take a product back to a competitor and see how "easy" it is.....believe me it is not. We accept/return all products we sell without question. 

Bakery-we "used" to get frozen products in and just throw them in the oven....not anymore! We freshly bake items like we used to do years ago. I am proud of this as well.

Boar's Head in the deli-we got it because YOU wanted it. Acme has an agreement with Deitz & Watson in ALL of their deli's and I'm sure it didn't go over well when Salisbury wanted Boar's Head instead-it's because YOU wanted it. I've heard time and time again from customers that Boar's Head is much better quality than Deitz & Watson.

Self check-outs-Acme has never believed in self check-outs. They believe in person to person service. We explained that our customers like self checkout! We wanted to cater to both crowds. Some like self check-out and some still like the person to person service. We wanted to satisfy our current customers despite what Acme's beliefs were. I think it was a good move personally....

I will end with saying that I WILL remain anonymous as I was and I still am employed. If I didn't take this to heart, love our customers (most of them!), and just really care about them I would have never taken my time to write this. Nothing is perfect, but with your help, suggestions, and comments to our management we cannot improve. Please keep this in mind when you come in. If you don't like something please tell management. I will end on what I believe myself and I feel that many people that have been around awhile will agree with:

You get what you pay for.

You are free to shop anywhere you wish. You have choices everyday of what to wear, what to eat, and where to shop. But keep in mind these places you frequent and spend your hard earned dollars.....how do they treat their employees? Are they Union? Are the employees happy? Do they give back to the community and to YOU as a customer? Do they even care about you? Do they treat you with respect? And finally, do they deliver on what they promise? 

Please give us a chance to correct what is wrong before going on a public forum such as this and downing us. We will listen-just tell us what you want please.

39 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear from a caring Employee!

Anonymous said...

Acme has self checkouts in every store I have shopped at in PA. They also will give you the product for free if the price is incorrect when it is scanned.

Anonymous said...

Well written.
I have been in and while there are some items that are high in comparison, there are some good deals to be had. I dare anyone to find the depth f selection at WalMart with their empty shelves.

Anonymous said...

Nice, thank you. And we love the Giant (Acme) employees as well. Always willing to help, friendly, and kind.

Anonymous said...

If the difference in shopping at a union shop, and a non-union shop, is the prices, then I prefer a non-union shop. If the goods are more expensive because the costs incurred by the union have to be recovered in the prices, then it doesn't benefit me to buy those goods, it only benefits the union employees. Nothing in it for me, then I shop somewhere else. That's just economics 101. I'm sure those union employees shop the same way in their personal shopping. They don't "buy union" and pay more for anything, just because union shops "take better care" of their employees (better health care, better wages, and pensions) than others get in a non-union environment. They shop like the rest of us. They buy the best value for them, and not what is best for some union employee. Like Dresser, Crown Cork & Seal, et al, the union will be the death of Acme in Salisbury if they think they don't have to compete with the other grocery stores, just because their store is unionized.

Anonymous said...

I never said I wanted Boars Head anything - get in Dietz and Watson, much better than Boars Head.

Anonymous said...

Lancaster brand meats (Acme's brand) are better quality. You are not going to find that quality anywhere including everyone's beloved Harris Teeter.

Anonymous said...

I have always like Giant and Acme I especially like Acme Brand meats I thank god that they still accept my food stamp card also The prices don't bother me at all I don't think they are high at all

Anonymous said...

Not only do you get what you pay for but when you shop at places like Walmart you are hurting the economy. It's very unfortunate but the employees there are paid such low wages that they really don't put any money back into the economy. They have no disposable income and quite a few receive one or more type of welfare benefit. If people boycotted Walmart for this very reason they would be forced to pay more or close. It would hurt for awhile because people would be out of jobs and/or prices would rise. But the fact is this is the ONLY way to stimulate an economy. The ways the democrats claim like raising minimum wage are very short if at all term fixes and in time cause bigger problems.

Anonymous said...

I did buy a very good steak there, that is the only positive I can say about this change.

Anonymous said...

Nobody forced them to apply for the job

Benifits and salary was agreed

Employee shows up to work

Employee didnt like the work

Employee quits

Employer hires someone else

Thank you
AMERICA .......

Anonymous said...

Giant always had a great deli, bakery, butcher and Seafood market. I'm glad to hear they kept most employees because it's a good crew in there.

Anonymous said...

Why not apply for a job there instead of being on WELFARE .

Anonymous said...

Thank you
Laura welfare mitchell.

Anonymous said...

12:25 fake post

Anonymous said...

You get what you pay for, says the welfare recipient. lmao. sorry

Anonymous said...

Dave T: I wish you guys the best in your transition. The downtown Giant came to be known as a decent place for many folks to stock up their shelves at home. I believe you can rise to the occasion that will lead to success so long as you maintain your current vision and remain loyal to it.

Anonymous said...

2:14 PM - Ditto here.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy being on food stamps and welfare for your information I have a disaibilty

Anonymous said...

2:33PM: What's your disability? Are you allergic to work? Who "enjoys" being on food stamps and welfare? Only people gaming the system, not actual poor, or needy people. Nobody "enjoys" being disabled. Your post is either a fake post, or you are just another lazy scum living off other people's tax dollars.

Anonymous said...

12:25 I would not care about the cost of things if I was eligible for food stamps either. I have been behind individuals paying with food stamps / WIC card and they eat a helluva lot better than I do. I am retired on a fixed income and have to be on a strict budget because I don't qualify for Public assistance. Yes, Acme is to high for me. I have been in there when they first open and left the cart in an isle with non-perishable items because I could not afford what I needed. Went to Food Lion and got all I needed within my budget. I go to Hastings Butcher Shop for quality of meats that cannot be matched for quality and price.
I miss the Giant employees I got used to and they new me as I walked thru the store shopping. Food Lion employees are just as friendly and remembering me just like the Giant employees. My budget tells me where to shop for quality and service

Anonymous said...

Fresh ground beef was on special this weekend. I was having a large BBQ at my house. All they had was 1/2 lb burgers. I asked if they could do 1/3 lb burgers. They pressed 40 1/3 patties for me in 10 min while I shopped. Won't find that at wal mart or food lion

Anonymous said...

So glad they kept Boars Head. I think the quality and variety is better than Deitz and Watson.

Anonymous said...

Shame on those concerned about you using food stamps or not showing some decent compassion for you having a disability. This whole thread was about Acme and I apologize for those ignorant comments, for them!

Anonymous said...

I agree!!

Anonymous said...

I too am a acme worker, ex giant employee and I must comment too. First of all its a 60 day probation, not 30. And we still DO NOT have any information on health insurance. That is very scary. And acme is STILL hiring everyday! And the whole atmosphere is very depressing to put it honestly. And us "older, higher paid employees" should worry. We make a lot more money per hour (due to many of us with 20+ years at giant). So as our very DEDICATED GIANT SHOPPERS continue to look for some familiar giant faces, we may not be there to much longer. Acme people that came to our store are very Nast, rude people. Times they are changing.

Anonymous said...

I also work at acme, former giant worker, and I see many changes for the worst. Are acme trying to get rid of some giant workers, I'd say yes. The first week our meat manager up and quit, been with giant many years. A 15 year produce worker with giant got demoted to a bagger, because all of a sudden he was slow putting up freight. Not to mention the guy has cancer! Since when is there a time limit on putting up fruits and veggies. A worker in deli was told if she didn't work extra hours when her shift was done, she would be fired. So you deside, how does acme treat their employees. I am putting out resumes as fast as I can, figure my times is ticking away.

Anonymous said...

12:29 - You are absolutely correct. The public should help the economy by putting the 450 or so Wal-Mart employees out of work and cut back on their own life style by spending more than they need to just to support higher paid people who offer less value per dollar spent. Yes Boars Head meats are good. If my life was valued on the quality of my lunch meat I would probably choose the brand over the acceptability of the very good Store Brand Giant offered; it doesn't. Some seafood prices are lower. Can't find Jumbo Crabmeat or even where the only lower quality "special" was processed, offered at backfin prices. The deli offerings are so great that instead of lines 8-10 deep you hit the button and you're next.

My bottom line is, while I've enjoyed the many employees I've gotten to know, a 10-15% premium over what Giant offered, with many items I bought regularly no longer available, and throwing hundreds of hard working wal-Mart employees out of work doesn't meet my lifestyle.

If Acme starts to bring back the selection, return to reasonable, though somewhat higher, pricing, and returns to a Salisbury shopping experience rather than a corporate model experience the store could once again become my go-to store. Otherwise I'll probably offer more support to those Wal-Mart employees you want to become unemployed.

Anonymous said...

"Weed people out that don't make the cut" HHHMMMM it is just a job at a retail grocery chain store correct?? Exactly where is the "challenge"

Anonymous said...

Where exactly does the infatuation come from in grocery shopping?? Soubds to me like a bunch of spoiled ass over priveledged whiners. You'll be able to look back at this and say remember how good life WAS once China goes belly up the US folds and PUTIN decides a nuclear war is the norm

Anonymous said...

I read this and can't believe how frivolous you people sound. You should be thankful you have such an abundance and choice. The day is coming real soon when you won't have this luxury you can thank your government for that

Anonymous said...

I'm not so sure that Acme is hoping we won't use their self-check out. Although the machines are pretty much like most others you would use, they are the worst I've ever used and if you spend over $75 dollars you have to show your card to the person manning the self-check, which at certain times can be a bit of a wait. The self check out machines that were in place when Giant was open worked far better than these do as does pretty much every other store in town that has self check out.
It's certainly not built for convenience.

Common Sense Warrior said...

If this is the employee from Acme, it only goes more towards me not wanting to shop there. Who needs to go to a food store that has such contempt for customers and overpriced? Screw them. Walmart and Food Lion are still here and Hastings will enjoy getting a boost in patronage! There's no need to hand over money to ungrateful idiots. To be honest, this 'employee' doesn't understand, without customers, there is no job! Talk about bitting the hand that literally feeds?

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I have had to go to the Food Lion in Fruitland for some items that I can no longer find at Acme. I'm sure I'm not the only person having to do this. So, heads up Fruitland Food Lion, you need to step up your customer service and keep more check out lines open. As it is right now, you can't handle the volume of customers. I hate going in there because there are only 2-3 lines open with 4 carts in each line. It takes forever to stop in for just a few items.

Anonymous said...

Oh, really you don't mind the higher prices? No surprise you are on welfare and don't pay for your groceries, WE, THE TAX PAYERS DO!

Anonymous said...

Lazyastitis!

Anonymous said...

September 28, 2016 at 6:02 PM:

So you think anyone who has a different point of view than yours is "ignorant?" I think that just shows who is really ignorant. Don't apologize for us. Apologize for your liberal views that the food stamp program is not abused. Everyone else knows that it is abused....even the ones abusing the program. Duh. Your name calling shows your lack of intellect.

Anonymous said...

As far as I'm concerned ALL grocery stores are expensive. Food prices continually to increase. I get sticker shock every time I go shopping. If a store has a pleasant environment, clean and a good class of people, that's where I will shop.

I absolutely hate going into a Walmart because of the types of people that walk around in there and stand in the middle of an aisle bumping their gums. And then there are the 3-4 active check-out lanes with twelve people in each.

Pretty soon more people will shop online and have their food delivered to their homes.

Anonymous said...

I was in food lion friday night and a box of frosted mini wheat cereal was $6.39 cents.