Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Democrats, Independents for Trump at 'Rolling Thunder' Rally

Donald Trump drew wild cheers and considerable press attention Sunday afternoon during his appearance in Washington at the annual "Rolling Thunder" gathering of veterans and others on motorcycles at the Lincoln Memorial.

While many in the press assumed that the group cheering on Trump were natural Republican supporters of the GOP’s now-certain presidential nominee, I found that this was not necessarily universal.

Many among Rolling Thunder, in fact, were Democrats and registered independents who may be casting their vote for a Republican for the first time in years.

"I'm a Democrat and I'm voting for Trump," U.S. Army veteran Roger Rollins of Clarksburg, West Virginia told me.

When I asked whom he voted for in '12, Rollins shot back: "I sure didn't vote for that black guy in the White House. I didn’t like either of the Bushes, and I don't want Hillary Clinton. I don't trust her at all."

More

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But everyone knows what has to be done and no one is stepping up to the plate.