Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 03, 2016

Delegate Carozza Responds MD HB 1178/SB 868 propose mandatory HPV vaccine for 9th graders

Thank you for contacting me regarding HB 1178/SB 868, which would mandate that a child has received three doses of the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine before entering ninth grade unless a child’s parents rejects such immunization on religious grounds. I took time to review this issue and sought additional information from my colleagues on the appropriate committees before responding to you. I share your serious concerns and am opposed to this legislation. It is my understanding that the bills may be withdrawn.

As you may know, HB 1178/SB 868 were introduced by Delegate Angela Angel (District 25) and Senator Shirley Nathan-Pulliam (District 44). HB 1178 will be heard by the House Ways and Means Committee on March 10th while the hearing on SB 868, originally scheduled for March 9th, has been canceled.

Please know that I am a strong supporter of individual rights and freedoms. As a State Delegate, I believe that government involvement in a person’s life should be kept to a minimum. I share your concerns about legislation that would require vaccinations for individuals who are opposed to receiving them.

I appreciate your taking the time to share your views with me. If I can be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best,

Mary Beth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Beth are you sure you want to get involved in mandatory vaccinations?

Anonymous said...

6:16 - she expressed her rejection of the idea! "I share your serious concerns and am opposed to this legislation."