Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

I Wish I Had Never Reported My Rape

I sit in the windowless interrogation room, fingers brushing against the cool metal of handcuffs attached to the chair, and try to comprehend what the detective sitting across from me is asking.

“Were you a virgin?” he says, his lips curling slightly as he repeats the question. “Explain to me, how could you have been bleeding if you weren’t on your period? Have you had sex before?”

I feel my face flush with embarrassment as I think about how to respond. Before I can say anything, there’s a knock at the door and another officer walks in.

“The suspect’s attorney is here.”

Suspect? My stomach drops. Did he really just refer to me as a suspect?

The detective turns to his colleague.

“She agreed not to have the lawyer come in for this.”

I open my mouth to object. Our “agreement” consisted of the detective asking me why I needed a lawyer if I was innocent. Before I can speak, the other officer leaves, the door closes and it’s just me and the detective again, alone in the windowless room.

“Let me get this straight, you can’t remember how your clothes came off? Well, what were you wearing?”

More

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

so even after the rolling stones debacle we are still pushing this issue. all fraternities are bad they are made up of bad white elite guys who rape and pillage women

Anonymous said...

People forget what it was like to be 18-19 and make mistakes in judgement.
How twisted and vile the system has become.

Anonymous said...

Ummm yeah I have never seen anyone wright so elegantly when putting pen to paper about there own rape. She wright's this as if it's strait out of a novel. ( Were you a virgin?” he says, his lips curling slightly as he repeats the question.) She goes on and on with this story as if it's a high point I her life. With comments such as (We continued chatting until his lips softly grazed mine. I kissed him back).

"Kendall Anderson is a junior at Mills College in Oakland, California majoring in Political, Legal and Economic Analysis. She has spent the past year speaking out about her experience in order to raise awareness about the handling of sexual assault cases by police and prosecutors"

sounds more like she has been promoting herself for some kind of monetary gain. I don't think a true rape victim would wright so elegantly about a situation such as this. I'm my mind I can see why an officer would refer to her as a suspect if she was reporting it the same way she recounts her story now. I wonder how much she gets paid to speak at events now.

Anonymous said...

11:36 Then they graduate, and are all old white guys taking advantage of children. Well, that part's true.

Anonymous said...

SOUNDS LIKE SPD.

Anonymous said...

12:33 should have paid attention in english class.

Anonymous said...

12:33 - I believe she writes not wrights.

Anonymous said...

11:42-One is only as good as the worst thing they've ever done.

Anonymous said...

Wright, write, right.

What, at this point, difference does it make? I'm too bust wrighting my novel to worry about the small stuff!

LOL!