Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, August 08, 2014

The Reason for Watergate?

At about 5:15 p.m. on June 17, 1971, in the Oval Office, the president ordered a crime:

I want it implemented on a thievery basis. Goddamn it, get in and get those files. Blow the safe and get it.

The burglary he demanded was not the one that would occur exactly one year later at the Democratic National Committee’s office in the Watergate complex. Richard Nixon was ordering a break-in at the Brookings Institution, a think tank, to seize material concerning U.S. diplomacy regarding North Vietnam during the closing weeks of the 1968 presidential campaign.

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nixon was and still is my hero.I fashioned my life after him.Anyone who can do what needs to be done in spite of the consequences is a winner.

Anonymous said...

Hunt was screaming about the "bay of pigs thing" in jail. Nixxon let him out to silence him.

Watergate was really about the murder of a US President!

Anonymous said...

"Nixon was and still is my hero.I fashioned my life after him."

You were a psychologically abused, yet brilliant child who grew up to have huge trust and paranoia issues in later life?