Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, August 08, 2014

Dem Congressman Tells African Leaders 'I Do Not Whip People'

Playing off of his title as House Minority Whip, Rep. Steny Hoyer made a joke about “whip[ping] people” to a group of African leaders visiting the U.S. for a major diplomatic summit.

“First of all, let me tell my friends from Africa, I do not whip people,” the Maryland Democrat told a crowd at the U.S.-Africa Leaders Summit Wednesday.

Some in the audience laughed, albeit lightly.

“And if you watch ‘House of Cards,’ it is not accurate,” Hoyer continued, referencing a show aired on Netflix about the inner workings of Washington D.C. politics.

Wednesday’s event, titled “Dialogue with African CEOs,” was hosted by the Congressional Black Caucus.

More

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounded to me like a racial statement and now I'm offended.

Anonymous said...

And I'm offended that you're offended.

Anonymous said...

And the fact that you two are offended and Steny is not offended offends me, and my dog is also offended.