White House reveals how US special forces stormed ISIS camp just a month ago - only to find hostages weren't there...as Obama goes back to his golf
Several dozen special-operations forces attempted to rescue Americans held hostage by ISIS in Syria earlier this summer but failed, it was revealed Wednesday following the graphic release of a video showing the gruesome beheading of photojournalist James Foley.
The mission was carried out earlier this summer but failed because the hostages had been moved by the time U.S. forces arrived for the rescue, according to statements released by the White House and State Department
'This operation involved air and ground components and was focused on a particular captor network within ISIL,' the State Department statement reads. 'Unfortunately, the mission was not successful because the hostages were not present at the targeted location.'
Officially, the administration said it would not release more details on the raid, but sources told the New York Times that the mission was carried out by two dozen special-ops members, who were dropped off in Syria in early July and were met with gunfire.
'While on site, it became apparent the hostages were not there,' one of the officials said.