Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Beware Of Another Local Phone Scam

Joe,

I have once again been called by a group of scammers who say that they're from Microsoft and want to do a scan of my computer and sell me a protection package.

The call, this time from 980 757 8819 (Charlotte, NC), was from a man who identified himself as a Microsoft representative. I've had calls from them before, both from New York City and Las Vegas, NV, each time a man with a heavy Indian accent (Indian from India, not a Native American) who says he's from Microsoft and has some common English name, like Steven.
.
This is a scam! They will attempt to gain control of your computer(s) and scan all of the contents of your hard drive. They will insert a password or code in your computer (unbeknownst to you) and ask you to buy their non-existent virus protection programs for a varying fee (up to $250). If you refuse, they will allow the password to prevent you from accessing your computer. They will then call you back and demand money to remove the passcode. They will ask that you send them money from you bank account via your credit or debit card, paid to a money delivery service, which will be nearly impossible to get a refund from. 

It looks like the scam originates in India, one of them being an outfit called KBK Infotech.

Please let your readers know about this. Anyone who gets their call should blow them off, but note the telephone number from which they call, then report them to the Federal Trade Commission. If they are unlucky enough to be drawn into the scam, they should also call their local police department to report what is a theft. They will probably never see their money again, but reporting them may eventually get some Federal response and action to snare these weasels.

Thanks.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That explains my recent barrage of calls from some random Nevada number. Thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous said...

I get these calls all the time. When they say my computer is infected....I tell them I don't have a computer. They hang up immediately.

Anonymous said...

I got a call from some foreigner claiming to be from Microsoft. I knew it was a scam and told him to hold on for a minute, then I resumed watching TV until the moron hung up :) I tell all telemarketers now to hold on while I get who they are asking for, then I just leave them hanging, I swear it works better than the DO NOT CALL registry!! They don't like you wasting THEIR time, imagine that?

Anonymous said...

I have gotten several of these calls. I immediately tell the caller that he is a liar.
He protests that no he is not a liar, he has gotten Microsoft error messages from my computer and is calling to help me.
I again call him a liar -- and tell him I have Apple.

Anonymous said...

The gullibility Channel is on 416. Tune in for all these scams!

Anonymous said...

I got a call from these people from Nevada. The guy said his name was Sam. Very slick script. They should work for Obama.

Anonymous said...

We kept getting a call from 'Windows' in Salt Lake City. 385-313-3975, I blocked the # so they would quit bugging us.

Anonymous said...

I noticed from my customer's that they often target people living in communities for the elderly.

One thing is for certain Microsoft will never ever call you about your computer. in fact there isn't any company that will call you about your computer.

Also be careful when you are calling for support.

A good example is people having a problem with their HP printer and they would google HP support.

The first result returned from the Google search is "HP Technical Support" but if you look at the website the link takes you too its from a scam company called Iyogi.

These guys are from India and they will answer the phone as HP Technical support and nver tell you that they have nothing to do with HP. They will often ask you to allow them to remote into your PC and they can then steal info and also try and trick you into spending $100 or more to resolve some "issue" for you.

The main thing is to look very close and be sure you calling the proper company when you make a support call. Also be very careful of who you allow to remote into your PC.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to warn the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

I think it's funny when their accent is so thick, can't hardly understand them then his name is John. Keep them on the phone and talk about fishing like they are your best friend. It is too funny.

Anonymous said...

This ain't rocket science people... well duh...!

Anonymous said...

Funny that for all the scamming they've done over the years from multiple states using telephones that they aren't under scrutiny from the feds for RICO charges. Like the Indian Mafia doesn't exist...