Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The David Brenner I Knew



What you might not read a lot about my old friend David Brenner is that he absolutely loved Pool. So much so, he opened a Pool Hall in New York City called Amsterdam Billiards. 

I was fortunate enough to meet David back in the 1980's when I was heavy into playing Professional Pool. This guy was absolutely hilarious. 

I could go on and on but I think the best story I can share with you over all the years I knew David was this.

I got a call from him one day asking me to make a trip to New York, he had something for me. At the time I was very heavy into dividing the Men's pro tour from the Women's pro tour. I felt the women were not being treated properly and certainly not being paid properly. 

I also felt that if they divided, the women would actually do better than the men. I'll quickly explain. When you watch the men shoot a difficult shot and they miss, people watching think, man, he should have made that shot. However, when a woman has the same shot, (respectfully) and they miss, most men say, well, I probably would have missed that shot too. Being that ESPN was starting to cover Billiard Tournaments, the timing couldn't be better to divide, so they did. 

That's when I got the call from David to come to New York and spend some time with this KID that was amazing David. He said she just picked up a cue and started beating all the men in his Billiard Room. 

So I got in the car with Chris Sigel and we headed off to New York for a few days. When we got to Amsterdam's, there she was in the back corner practicing. I walked over to the table and asked if she'd like someone to practice with. I could be wrong but I think she was only 17 years old at the time. Her name, Janette Lee, now known as "The Black Widow". 



I should add, while we were shooting, in walked Demi Moore. I just thought that was cool. Anyhow, Janette was a quiet little thing but by the time we had finished I had convinced her that she truly needed to join the Women's Pro Tour. Yes, she was that good. 

Two years later, (or so) she was "Player of the Year" and the following year she became a "World Champion".

We spent incredible quality time with David during our stay in New York and I'll never forget the crazy shoes he used to wear all the time. They were these almost knee high moccasins from Europe. Anyone who ever knew him knows about these crazy shoes he loved to wear.

After the New York City trip I had pretty much stopped playing Pool on tour and spent most of my time concentrating on my businesses. I'd visit some of the more local Tournaments to say hello to old friends but I never heard or saw David again. I did see Janette at a big Tournament at Baltimore Billiards. That was a cool reunion. 

Rest in Peace David Brenner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I know where the inspiration for the "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" painting came from.Amsterdams' bulilding looks exactly like it.Check it out.

Anonymous said...

Her name is Jeanette, and it's pretty well known that she didn't start playing until she was 18.

Anonymous said...

Been there and done that always trumps "pretty well known"