Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, December 14, 2013

HISTORICAL COMMENTS BY GEORGE CHEVALLIER 12-14-13

Strange Occurrences

How many of us have experienced things we cannot explain? I have never been taken in by “ghost stories” and other things that the paranormal experts try to pass off as other worldly.

This leads me to tell you about four instances that happened to me that defy explanation.

The first was after my father died in November, 1978. He usually lettered anything he wrote. He always corrected me when I said he printed. He told me that printers print, he lettered. Anyway, my sister always wrote long hand and extremely backhand. But that Christmas, when I received a card from her, the address was lettered and looked just like what my father would have written. I actually went weak in the knees. My sister insisted she had always written that way, but I know differently.

The second was the discovery of my father’s I.D. badge from Precision Development Company, which was Martin & Schwartz before World War II.

After my father died and my mother was getting up in years, she only put out a ceramic Christmas tree during the holidays. She kept it in the bottom of a closet in my father’s old bedroom. No one had been in there for many years and the only thing left on his bureau was a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The strange occurrence happened when I set part of the Christmas tree on the bed to make sure I had room to return it to the closet. As I knelt down with the tree, I happened to look up and the I.D. badge was leaning against the front of the statue. Mom said she didn’t recall seeing the badge before that day and didn’t know where it came from. The badge is pictured above.

The third occurrence involved a large box of my toys from childhood. Mom said she didn’t know where it was and I let it go at that for a time. Then, one day, I happened to look in her garage and glanced up. There was a room above, but access to it was difficult. There was an opening that could only be accessed with a ladder. I know I had looked that room over before and there was nothing up there. However, on this day, I looked up and saw the corner of a box. I quickly got the ladder and retrieved the box. It contained all the toys I had been looking for. I have no idea where it had been before I found it that day.

The fourth instance just happened last week. I had all of the Post Card Club notices for a month or more and needed a couple more post cards and stamps. Our secretary was going to bring them to our annual Christmas dinner. I couldn’t find the original group anywhere. My boys had gone over my two spare bedrooms so everything I put in either room lately should be there. I was about ready to ask her for another set at my expense. Then, on Sunday, I walked by one of the bedrooms and saw this Food Lion bag. All the cards were there, right in plain sight.

Perhaps you have had a similar experience. Some things cannot be explained; so don’t try to look beyond the present and things you can do nothing about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My experiences were always when I couldn't find things.I would turn everything upside down looking for who knows what (like keys or my wallet for instance)and later find whatever I was looking for exactly where I had previously looked.I was always curious if that happened to other people as well.

Anonymous said...

It happens to me, too, usually with my keys. Not there one moment, there five minutes later.
I wish that the spirits in my house were more constructive.