Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

AT&T Wireless Scam

I have 2 cell phones on a plan with AT&T. Recently, it seemed as if my monthly bill was creeping up. I did not notice anything on the bill looking at the primary number on the account and assumed some taxes or fees had increased. This morning, I took a closer look at the entire bill and noticed, under my wife's number, a $9.99 RENEWAL Fee for something called MobileTunezClub. I didn't request this service nor did my wife (at least knowingly). If you look at the website listed under the subject of this message, you will find that MobileTunezClub charge is beginning to pop up with a number of AT&T WIreless customers. Reportedly, someone sends you a TEXT message stating you will be signed up for the service unless you REPLY otherwise. Since this went to my wife's phone and she doesn't even know how to TEXT a reply back much less read them, we became unknown subscribers. MobileTunezClub seems to be a legitimate business but whoever is signing up new customers appears to be operating under the radar. 

The solution is to go to AT&T and report this an an unauthorized charge. They told me they would refund any charges by MobileTunezClub and sent me information about a free service they offer to prevent anyone else doing this again without being able to provide a PIN.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not surprising. Predatory practices are happening all over.

I was shocked a few weeks back when a friend of mine put a check for some work done in his bank and it bounced. The bank charged HIM for a bad check.

Think about that. A person has no way of knowing a check is bad when they accept it from someone yet they are charged.

What is this world coming to.