Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, December 10, 2012

8 Years Later Mayor Ireton Tables Trash Again

Images taken this morning.

The Daily Times published "Plaza trash raises a stink" this morning explaining some of the problems business owners and residents have referencing trash pickup, (or the lack thereof) Downtown.

What wasn't mentioned was just how long we've been fighting this problem and how many Council's we've been through addressing the problem.

Mayor Jim Ireton has been well aware of this problem for years and now all of a sudden he's delaying yet another agenda item because the media is all of a sudden interested days before the problem is to be addressed. 

The images shown above were taken early this morning and shows the overflow of trash as well as Public Works coming by at 10:15 AM to finally pick it up. 

When Jeremy called me to interview me on Friday I expressed to him that the only time the Plaza gets cleaned up is the day before 3rd Friday. I, (along with many others) walk the Plaza a few times a day and whenever I come across trash I pick it up and throw it in the trash cans when they're not overflowing. 

I'll never forget Mike Dunn and Gary Comegys saying something must be done about this trash on the Plaza, yet nothing ever happened. This was back in the day when people used to give me a hard time on Salisbury News because I would show pictures on a regular basis of just how bad the trash problem was Downtown. 

Now we're some 8 years later and guess what, Ireton can't even figure out how to resolve such a simple problem. Its all about fees in the City. We pay monstrous taxes yet we get no services. We get no parking for property owners, no trash pickup, NOTHING! Heck, we get fined from the City if a weed grows in the curb on the street in front of our properties.

These are yet another reason I'm running for Mayor. I want to get rid of the parking meters. I want to provide trash pickup for the Downtown area and not spend 8 years figuring out how Salisbury can be more inviting. ALL of which can be done WITHOUT it costing a penny to the taxpayers.

The Council has no problem addressing this issue. It's the Mayor who keeps tabling these items as expressed in Terry Cohen's Op Ed in yesterdays paper. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leave the trash on the mayors front door...

Anonymous said...

For the love of God - enough already of the dysfunctions of the DT.

Anonymous said...

I agree with 11:28 , take the trash into the GOB and put it in the mayors office

Anonymous said...

For the love of God - enough already of the dysfunctions of the DT.

December 10, 2012 1:36 PM

Wouldn't it be better if dt STOPPED doing the dysfunctions and you are tired of hearing about?

Anonymous said...

I've seen you, beauty, and you belong to me now, whoever you are waiting for and if I never see you again, I thought. You belong to me and all Paris belongs to me and I belong to this notebook and this pencil.