Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Fungus-Tainted Steroid Injection

The Food and Drug Administration said it didn't have clear authority to act against the company that produced fungus-tainted steroid injections. And it said a confused tangle of laws means Massachusetts officials had the same problem. Deborah Autor, deputy FDA commissioner for global operations and policy, said the nation's regulatory apparatus needed updating to handle the compounding industry. The steroid in question is blamed for 14 deaths. It was produced by the now-closed New England Compounding Company. The Washington Post reported that FDA noted problems with the company back in 2006.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking as someone who received multiple shots from that were distributed from the Mass company I can tell you that the waiting and wondering is H*(). I'm not so certain that they know everything yet. The CDC has reversed itself on findings at this point. The only way to clear my mind for certain is to have a procedure that may hold a less than happy result as well. I don't like the odds and I feel that I have been violated enough, but I have been told that because I was treated in a facility that received the tainted doses my risk goes up. I know that there is a window of time that the CDC has stuck to but they keep changing other things..such as the type of fungus found. Needless to say...if this were your family member you would be on edge....and that is putting it lightly.