Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Researcher Says Flaw In Android Creates Phone Risk

 Cellphones using Google's Android operating system are at risk of being disabled or wiped clean of their data, including contacts, music and photos because of a security flaw that was discovered several months ago but went unnoticed until now.

Opening a link to a website or a mobile application embedded with malicious code can trigger an attack capable of destroying the memory card in Android-equipped handsets made by Samsung, HTC, Motorola and Sony Ericsson, rendering the devices useless, computer security researcher Ravi Borgaonkar wrote in a blog post Friday. Another code that can erase a user's data by performing a factory reset of the device appears to target only the newly released and top selling Galaxy S III and other Samsung phones, he wrote.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was expecting to see a link to a fix for my phone. Nothing out there yet?

Anonymous said...

Researcher was probably financed by Apple

Anonymous said...

I am so technologically backward that this stuff scares the heck out of me.It seems like just yesterday when I was sitting in Movies 6 and I heard an odd sounding ring.2 girls were sitting about 3 rows in front of me.One pulled out a Motorola Flip Phone,(which I found out later),flipped it open and started talking.I must have told 3 or 4 people that day about it.Early to mid 90's maybe?