Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, March 16, 2012

LongHorn Steak House Is Not All That



Many have been talking about the new LongHorn Steak House in Salisbury at the Center Of Salisbury Mall.

We decided, what the heck, let's give it a shot. So we got on line and called ahead. When we arrived there was a decent amount of people waiting and we were told we'd still have a 15 minute wait before we were seated. I'm cool with that. The wait was a little longer but we were greeted by very kind people.

The layout and atmosphere is very nice. However, the decent experience stopped right there. We were seated and we immediately placed our order. I asked for a menu while we were waiting so we knew just what we wanted.

When the salad arrived, (at least 15 minutes later) there was barely any dressing on it at all. So we had to wait, (once again) for the waitress to come around and ask for more dressing. I set me salad aside and she delivered some bread. There was enough butter for maybe one slice of the bread and I'm not kidding. So when she returned 20 minutes later with the salad dressing I had to ask for more butter.

Our food finally arrived and as you can see from the prime rib above, it wasn't even cooked. If I had sliced open my arm and looked inside, that's pretty much what I got. So away it went, after waiting at the table for more than an hour for our food in the first place.

As we sat there we just kept watching the management going back and forth to the kitchen because just about every table we could see was disappointed in their food. When the manager came back with my steak he stood over top of me asking if it was cooked to my liking. I replied, well, it's warmer but its still not cooked. He asked if I'd like him to take it back and I replied, no thanks, I'm done here.

The mashed potatoes we ordered were runny and so loaded with butter it was pretty much disgusting. At this point, (you know it's bad when) my Wife said, we would have been better off with a Nathan's Hot Dog from Sam's Club. After spending $55.00 for our meal we both agreed, we will not be back.

My Wife had the chicken with mushrooms. She said it was two chicken strips, (very thin and tiny) with a portobello mushroom in between them and sliced mushrooms in the sauce. She went on to say, at least in Outback you get a decent size chicken breast with cheese melted on it and great mashed potatoes, I agree. I had a bite and very frankly the chicken was very dry as well.

Now I know many of you will say they just opened, give it a shot. They have had several dry runs before opening this restaurant and quite frankly Station 7 did a better job, (by far) during their dry run than this chain restaurant did with tons of experience.

While I'd truly like to say a new business in Salisbury is a great place to visit, it's my job to tell the truth. The picture above should clearly show you that wasn't the case. I asked the meat to be cooked a certain way and I even said to the waitress, if they do not know how to cook it that way let me know and I'll order it another way. As soon as the food arrived I immediately told her, that's not how I asked it to be cooked. She replied, oh, I know, they didn't know what you were talking about. Enough said. A steak house that doesn't know how to cook a steak Pittsburgh Style doesn't deserve my business ever again.

They made no offer to satisfy me other than to reheat it again for a third time. I didn't complain, I simply paid the bill, lesson learned.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

i went there 2 days ago and everything was almost perfect. the biggest complaint i had was the first refill of my drink which took a little longer, but second refill was very quick.

Anonymous said...

I always believe in giving a new restaurant a second chance because they usually have some wrinkles to iron out at the beginning. It is usually not a good idea to go to a new restaurant until they have been open at least a month or two.

Anonymous said...

A Pittsburgh rare steak is one that has been heated to a very high temperature very quickly, so it is charred on the outside but still rare or raw on the inside.

Anonymous said...

JOE EAT LOCAL...if you have a problem you know the OWNER and he /she will make it right.

Gary said...

Thats not unusal for a newly openned place to have an experience like that. The first time I went to Texas Road House was about the same...now they are very good in my opinion. You might have just jumped the gun before they got their act together. I've been to many other locations and the food is excellant...and it's the same food at each location

Anonymous said...

whats pittsburgh style?

Anonymous said...

Should have went to Mister Paul's for your prime rib... Thursday nights 8oz 2 sides for 9.99 guaranteed they know how to cook it Pittsburgh style

Anonymous said...

Stay at Texas Roadhouse, it is good and the same good food everyday!

Anonymous said...

We were there last night also,poor serve.

Anonymous said...

There hiring practices suck, they give you a second interview then tell you there full when you get there. I saw some of the people they hired and I give some of those people a month of mayhem before they walk out. Have not been back since before they opened and probably will not. Have not heard one good thing thus far.

LuCinda said...

I rarely fo anywhere to get my steak. I prefer to cook it myself the way I like it cause I have been disappointed too many times at restaurants. The only time I go out to a restaurant is if it is something that I cannot prepare myself and/or has a special way to prepare it that I cannot do at home. Also, I'm a darn good cook so why waste the money?

Cathy said...

we went wednesday night. also did the call ahead so our wait was minimal when we arrived. our food was great! the service on the other hand left ALOT to be desired.

i had the parmagian (sp?) crusted chicken breasts with green beans (even though i asked for the parmagian chicken sandwich) and it was 2 generous portions of chicken that were very very good. the green beans were some of the best fresh green beans i've had.

hubby's parmasean & bacon stuffed filet was good (a pinch over cooked for him but still good) and our friends filet was good (a pinch UNDER cooked for her - i think she got the temps for their steaks mixed up). my sons cheeseburger was larger than the average childs burger.

our drink refills were slow, many times. and while we were still eating our waitress brought the check and said she'd take it when we were ready. um, what if we wanted dessert (we were full but that's not the point!)

they cleared the table of things were weren't done with (hubby's drink = no no lol)

food great. service not. i chalked it up to being new and VERY BUSY. will try again in a month or so.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lucinda.
I just go and get a Delmonico from either Family Butcher in Dagsboro or Chesapeake Bays Farms in Berlin.
Also I figured out that broiling or grilling isn't the greating cooking option for steaks. A hot hot frying pan with a little butter and searing on both sides is the best.

Anonymous said...

Ok, first it is new, give em time, secondly, it is a crime against nature to cook prime rib above medium, if you want it cooked more than that, buy a damn ny strip or sirloin and have em.burn it, like all new places they will improve over time, just need to improve....we will see how they do in summer

Anonymous said...

my husband and i went there for lunch today. it quickly turned into a horrible experience. however, once we made the corporate trainer aware of the problem, she jumped into action and turned the disaster around, personally waiting on us and making sure everything went smoothly. even though we insisted on paying for our meal, she refused and even added a dessert. i will say that the only reason the day was saved was the corporate trainer who took over. the manager that we dealt with had zero people skills and even less intelligience. im afraid that without the corporate workers that are there to get the place up and running, the place will be a train-wreck in no time.

Anonymous said...

Eat local!!!!

Anonymous said...

Why would you eat prime rib charred on the outside? That just ruins it.