Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, February 24, 2012

USPS May Close 200 Processing Centers

The Postal Service might close more than 200 processing centers in a bid to save money. The agency has finished a five-month review of facilities. Leaders there say the plan could mean cutting 35,000 positions, even though some employees might be reassigned. The plan is part of a bigger effort to help the struggling Postal Service save $20 billion over the next three years. Lawmakers on Capitol Hill agree something needs to be done, but they disagree on exactly what. The closure plan is pending proposed revisions to agency service standards.

1 comment:

Ironshire said...

Here's my question: My Post Office is in Berlin and I have a PO Box there. Many business' I do do business with also have a Berlin PO Box as a mailing address. So, when I send mail to them I drop it off at the Post Office, it is then sent to a Distribution Center, currently on the Shore, that sorts it and returns it to the same place I dropped it off and within a few feet of the slot I put it in the first place. The new proposal will send that same piece of mail 300 miles away and back again to stick it a box a few feet from where I deposited it originally.
Is there any wonder why this government agency is loosing money?
And isn't this indicative of how the entire US Government works?
just askin.....

Craig Theobald
Ironshire