Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Guns and Ammo

A friend and I just had a lengthy conversation about guns and ammo. We all have our own preferences relating to the types of weapons we have and the purpose they serve. All too often the subject of ammo (type, grade, manufacturer, etc.) is never touched upon.

In my opinion guns and ammunition are a partnership. A marriage if you will. Each weapon has a favorite type of ammunition. An ammunition type that it will shoot more accurately, based upon the amount of powder used as a propellant and the weight and type of projectile. For example some types of weapons will like a fast burning powder with a ballistic tipped boat tail bullet. The trick is to know your own weapon and what type of ammunition to use to get the most accurate, most reliable results.

Our discussion dealt specifically with manufacturer. I have an AK-47. I love it. It isn't picky. It doesn't have to operate in an environment that is almost sterile like some AR-15's. It likes cheap, steel cased, Russian ammo as much as it does the Remington brass cased ammo. My friend has aa Smith & Wesson AR-15. He loves it. He likes the way it shoots. He likes the way it feels. He also loves the fact that there is an unlimited supply of aftermarket add-ons to make his AR the best tactical/self-defense weapon God ever made. Unfortunately for him, it doesn't like cheap ammo.

I can go to Wal-Mart and buy 20 round boxes of Tul Ammo/Wolf Ammo made in Russia for $4.97. I can shoot hundreds of rounds without so much as a feed jamb. If he buys the same brand of ammo he will start to have malfunctions after about 50 rounds causing him to have to break his weapon down for a thorough cleaning. He has to buy ammo at least twice the cost to get the same results as I have with an AK-47.

I'm not picking one weapon over another. The truth is that the AR-15 is by far a superior weapon as it relates to accuracy. I am trying to bring to light the fact that there are many things to consider before purchasing a weapon. One of the most important consideration is the cost and availability of reliable ammunition. The only way to become efficient with your weapon is to get out and shoot as often as possible. Ammunition must be affordable in order to do that.

What's your favorite caliber and ammunition? Is there an ammunition you had problems feeding through your weapon?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not hard to find brass cased ammo for an AR for $6 for 20 rounds, if you know where to look.

Anonymous said...

I like my ak47 but I always shoot brass. I know I can shoot steel case ammo but I reload my ammo and you can't reload steel cases. So I shoot brass and reload the brass I shoot. It's a lot cheaper.

Anonymous said...

Where? I would love to find some good and cheap ammo for my mini-14

Anonymous said...

I have a Winchester SX2. I reload my own shotshells and I've done it since I was 16. I have to load my shells hot to get my Winchester to cycle. If I shot light loads it won't eject. If I shoot duck and goose loads it cycles perfect every time.

Anonymous said...

I would like to find somebody who reloads to buy ammunition from. I will give them my used shells and money if they will reload for me.

Anonymous said...

Cheaperthandirt.com 1000 rounds of 55 gr .223 brass casings. $310 a case. Works out to about $6.00 for 20 rounds.

Anonymous said...

Best thing to do is have weapons that shoot all different kinds of ammo. AR's,AK's,shotguns,rifles,pistols,rimfire,centerfire well you get the picture :-)

Anonymous said...

HB 1307 Natural Resources - State Boat Act - Fees and Requirements

Boat registration fees increasing 600%

Hunting license Bill soon to hit the table...increases from 24.50 to $95.

Fed Mig stamp going from 15-$25.

Please contact your representatives asap....stop the money grab!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What? $24.95 to $95.00? Guess what? There will be a lot of poaching. I won't cite one person for hunting w/out a license. Our legislators are creating a divide. If other NRP guys would remember that they took an oath to uphold the constitution and the spirit it was written on, they won't write the citation.

Alex said...

This is a very accurate and well-written article.

Anonymous said...

I am 4:44 and would be glad to tell you where to get the ammo, but I don't think I can give websites here. I would even consider giving you my contact info since larger purchases get better deals. I got 1000 rounds of NATO 5.56 for less than $300 SHIPPED!! It was steel cored too.

Anonymous said...

9:28 how about 7.62 x 39? if you can get 5.56 for less than $300 shipped I can only imagine what 7.62 would be. I would love to know where that is. Is it Midway USA?

Anonymous said...

802-AK ammo prices have jumped in price since 2008. In 07, I could get 1000 round cases for just north of 100, by 09 they were going for 250+ at shows.

I'm also a big fan of AKs, just the pure reliability is the difference maker for me. I now load my own brass, it's much cheaper and I can load top of the line stuff without the sticker shock. Timely, but with 20 different caliber weapons, every penny I can save can go to adding to my collection in the future.

Anonymous said...

my ak shoots anything, steel surplus, i dont use corrosive though. While it shoots anything, it is no where as accurate as my rock river lar-8. However that is picky about shooting regular soft point hunting ammo, have to use ballistic tips for hunting or fmj for plinking.

just two of the many...

Anonymous said...

7.62 x 54 for down and dirty, 7 mm magnum when I want to reach out and touch someone, and .40 for up close and personal!
Think that covers the bases!

Anonymous said...

I like my ak because the gun is cheap ammo is cheap and 30 round mags are cheap. And the best part you can drop the gun in a mud hole then a sand bok pick it up bang if off and she will just keep on shooting.