Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Australia Asks _ Again: Did A Dingo Kill The Baby?

SYDNEY (AP) - The growl came first, low and throaty, piercing the darkness that had fallen across the remote Australian desert. A baby's cry followed, then abruptly went silent. Inside the tent, the infant girl had vanished. Outside, her mother was screaming: "The dingo's got my baby!"

With those panicked words, the mystery of Azaria Chamberlain's disappearance in the Australian Outback in 1980 became the most notorious, divisive and baffling legal drama in the country's history. Had a wild dog really taken the baby? Or had Azaria's mother, Lindy, slit her daughter's throat and buried her in the desert?

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine has a pet Dingo.He is as docile as any dog I've ever seen.Unless they are influenced in the wild by a pack mentality,I can't perceive them as being a threat to anyone.His Dingo came from a Fla breeder and is a 100% purebreed,just like the ones in Australia.Great with kids.Lets them climb all over him.

Julie said...

PLEASE ""But police and the public doubted a dingo was big or strong enough to drag away a 10-pound (4.5-kilogram) baby."" A few years ago, my dog (which weighted only about 40 pounds), dragged a piece of a deer I had quartered (which weighed 15 pounds) over 100 yards. I had only left the quarters in my cooler less than 15 minutes before I returned to find the cooler overturned, and saw my dog a little over 100 yards away in my back yard, still dragging the quarter towards the woods! I am sorry for the child, but dogs are much stronger than most people believe!