Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Saturday, September 17, 2011

USPS To Cut Out 1/2 Of Its Processing Centers

The struggling Postal Service is going forward with a plan to trim its processing centers by half to save up to $3 billion a year, even though the proposal would require job losses and reduced services.

It is studying 252 mail processing centers for closure. The agency says 35,000 jobs would be cut but all of the more than 150,000 mail processing employees would be impacted. As a result, the agency would no longer deliver first-class mail within one day. The new service standard would be two to three days.

For what its worth, I order cigars through JR Cigars. Because I live in Delaware, it's against the law to ship them FedEx or UPS, GO FIGURE! So I would order them and have them shipped priority mail, overnight. The last time I went to place an order they told me USPS no longer provides that service.

So, somehow the Federal Government has already picked states in which FedEx and UPS cannot service for certain industries, total BS. USPS has a monopoly and this is against the law, I don't care what you say. I would love to see the USPS get challenged to the point FedEx and UPS, (at the very least) could compete. While I believe the quality of USPS has always been the best, the business side of me gets furious at how our government allows them a monopoly and that is exactly why I refused to use the USPS for anything when I was in business if I could avoid it.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't need a postal service run by the government.

Anonymous said...

USPS is "above the law" in case you didn't know already. Their personnel are NOT permitted to moonlight with ANY firm that competes with USPS services. Do it and you will be fired.

By the way, it's not the carriers that come to your door that are carrying all this baggage, particularly in the rural areas. They are directed to drive their personal cars from the wrong side of the front seat while their office people are protected from employer caused fart damage.

They need a lot of work.

Anonymous said...

another fine service brought to you BY UNIONS !