Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, March 04, 2011

Md. Asks Why Kids No Longer Walk To School

BETHESDA, Md. - Many of us walked to school when we were kids.
 
Now that childhood obesity has tripled since the 1980s, one jurisdiction is studying what's keeping kids from walking or biking to school these days.
 
In one Bethesda neighborhood, the school zone is clearly marked and sidewalks lead to a nearby elementary school. This appears to be the exception to the rule.
 
In a survey by Maryland's Department of Transportation, principals say they're concerned students don't have the sidewalks or skills to safely walk or bike to school.
 
The principals were also concerned about liability.

More

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"principals say they're concerned students don't have the ... skills to safely walk or bike to school." Do What?? No wonder schools don't teach, they certainly can't expect kids without the skills to walk to school be able to learn anything.

EdenMan said...

Hey...I walked to school...it was uphill both ways. No, seriously, I'm an old man now, and I walked or biked to school in Catonsville. To this day, I'm not overweight, and I walk @ a brisk pace....maybe I was doing the right thing as a young person, with absolutely no local government intervention.

Anonymous said...

I walked to school and we had no sidewalks! What is this world coming to? We are so afraid of a lawsuit that we overthink EVERYTHING.

Anonymous said...

Maybe because there are people like Thomas Leggs out there who love to rape and kill children.

Anonymous said...

My child doesn't have a bus to Wi Middle. She would have to walk all the way down Priscilla St through the Doverdale neighborhood. Cross Rt. 50 and walk down Main Street to Wi Middle. No way in God's name is my 6th grade daughter walking that gauntlet everyday. I drive her to school.

Anonymous said...

I agree 9:17. I have enough anxiety about letting my daughter walk to the bus stop!