Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Color-Coded Plastic Ties Tell You Day Your Bread Was Baked

Turns out that the plastic tags and twists on loafs of bread aren't just for looking pretty, they are coded to indicate what day the bread was baked on, writes Wise Bread. The most commonly-used code for 5-day a week delivery is is blue for Monday, green for Tuesday, red for Thursday, white for Friday, and yellow for Saturday. It's a nifty "and now you know" factoid, though it probably won't save you from getting a stale loaf, because the shelf stockers for whom the code was designed are already doing that for you.

More »

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandfather was a Bond Bread delivery man and I've known this secret for years! He pounded this factoid in my head since the day I was able to walk in a grocery store!

Anonymous said...

I'm also told that color coded ties don't really mean anything around a holiday (Memorial day, 4th of July) etc. because the bread cos. bake ahead and freeze them so as to have enough supply for the extra demand...

Anonymous said...

My wife bought me a bread machine. Haven't had to buy a loaf in 3 weeks now. It is cheaper than buying the loaves, and the bread is better. Last longer to if not eaten right away.