Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Letter To The Editor



Regardless of your feelings about unions:  HOW are the teachers obtaining a dr's sick slip on the street corner to cover absences due to their protesting instead of being in school, still receiving pay, some bragging about their actions on national TV going to deal with a student who presents them with an suspicious doctor slip, permission slip, signed report card? 
Secondly, what about the elected legislators WHO ASKED FOR THE JOB, still receiving pay, some bragging on TV and who didn't want to take the TEST and follow the legislative process?  Is it a case of "if you don't do it my way, I'm picking up my clothes, packing them, and leaving!  AND I won't be back until you do it my way!?"
These are terrible examples to be setting for our students; it is already hard to teach them to do the "right" thing instead of the "easy" thing.  They learn this very quickly.  Is it a case of "don't do as I do--do as I say!?"  What are these people thinking??
"They" say the priority is education; and if this is the case, the students are better off with all new teachers and the legislators playing hooky should be impeached (couldn't be any worse off.)  We all need to demonstrate accountability and responsibility.
I am not bashing teachers, many of my friends are excellent teacher who go beyond the norm to help educate. 
Also I was raised in a union family, and my personal experience has included both sides of the fence.....union, non union, management, and governmental civil service.  We all have the right to protest, but there is a right way to do things.  We should work together to achieve the best for the employer, employees, and the people who receive the service.  I guess I was raised with a different set of ethics.

Just my opinion:          
Jill from Eden 

No comments: